Jump to content

Orient Expat Friends

Applying for a Hong Kong ID Card

  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Why o why

Posted 20 March 2008 - 11:17 AM

I need to apply for my HKID card but will they keep my passport? Is this a difficult thing to do? Is it straightforward?

#2 กำนัน

Posted 20 March 2008 - 11:26 AM

See: Hong Kong ID Card

As long as you have your passport, visa and legitimate reason to be living on Hong Kong according to immigration rules (i.e. employment, study, dependant, spouse), just turn up at the Registration of Persons office. You can either make an appointment in advance, or just turn up in the morning but you might leave empty handed if they already filled their daily quota when it comes to your turn. You will be photographed and fingerprinted.

There is no fee to pay (there is a fee if you lost your old one) and you should be on your way out of the building after about an hour. You will be issued with a temporary ID paper which serves as proof you have begun the application process if stopped by the police for example.

On the day allotted, usually around a week later, you should go to the office to collect your actual HKID card. It does not expire as long as you are resident in Hong Kong. You are supposed to take it with you everywhere and at all times. Cards issued now have microchips embedded which can be read at local border crossings and contain all your data.

If you are not entitled to permanent residency, you will be issued with the 'Hong Kong Identity Card', whereas the other states that you are entitled to permanent residency. That is the only real difference.

They will not keep your passport during the application process. They only use it to verify your identity and you take it away with you afterwards.

The entire process is detailed at the HKSAR immigration website:- http://www.immd.gov.hk

#3 kentpchan

Posted 13 June 2008 - 07:09 AM

hi,do u know the quota numbers for each day...roughly??? and also do i have to take my spouse along as i would applying because shes a hk citizen (i'm from uk) & do i have to be in hk for at least 180 day prior to application????

#4 กำนัน

Posted 29 August 2009 - 01:44 PM

You must apply withing 30 days of arrival. I've no idea what the daily quota is. I would assume you don't have to take your spouse along if you already have the appropriate visa based on marriage but I'm not entirely sure about that.

#5 Stephen Duddridge

Posted 02 September 2009 - 04:05 PM

My spouse sponsored myself last December and the process is a little more than Mandrunk mentioned.  First thing you have to go through the process every year until you've resided in HK for 7 years.  They will want details as and a letter as to why you did not apply before coming to Hong Kong.  Also need to prove some status of worth, either job or financial.  The quota part is only required when picking up the ID card as the original department for starting application is not busy.  It's the floor above the where the domestic helpers apply.  Good luck and it can be a bit nerve wrecking when something is important to oneself and their family.

#6 BakedHK

Posted 04 September 2009 - 12:45 AM

could have just asked me.. I have a dependent visa..  and after the first year, the second time you apply you will get a 3 year visa. at least this is what they did to me

#7 Tamago

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:09 AM

I will apply for an HK Permanent Resident ID card,
Both my parents are Permanent Resident ID card and born in HK.
I have already gathered all the documents to be elligible.

I read above that it takes around one week.

When i provide all the papers to the administration, how long does it take to get the Permanent ID card?
Is that the same situation that the case above?
I know that they will provide immediatly a certificate that proves that i am already HK Perment Resident.

Thank you

#8 cheesindave

Posted 05 January 2014 - 02:34 AM

This thread is more about collecting a temporary HKID card when you enter HK on a visa, i.e. employment visa, study visa, dependent visa etc.

What was mentioned in this thread about taking 1 week, is the process of obtaining a temporary HKID card, you go to immigration and they take your photo and thumb print etc and issue you with a paper ID, it then takes about 1 week before you go back and pick up your ID card.

Applying for PR status, which is what you're doing is quite different, how long it takes differs person to person.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 Orient Expat™
Contact us/Advertise