Orient Expat Friends

UK Tourist Visa Advice for Thai girlfriend

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 blightypaul

Posted 19 August 2008 - 06:38 PM

Hello Everyone,

I would like to get a tourist visa for my Thai Girlfriend either later this year or early next year. I understand this will allow her to stay in the Uk for a maximum period of 6 months which will be great. At some point I am hopign to re-locate to Singapore with my work

I am wondering what we can do to maximise the chances of success for the application . I have a very good job and am financially pretty well off and am happy to support my girlfriend while she stays with me in the UK. I have read that providing details as to salary will help the application. I am also willing to use a visa agency if it will  genuinely assist the application and wonder if anyone had any recommendations for good , trustowrthy agencies.

I am very grateful for any guidance here

paul

#2 (Member banned)

Posted 20 August 2008 - 12:42 AM

http://www.schengenvisa.cc/

Please check out the link above.

It's maybe not a bad idea, should you are face problems in the UK with the visa for a Thai national, to apply for a SchengenVisa for Europa - which does not include UK...

Within Europe it is much easier to apply as a Thai national for UK-visa than in Thailand.

You can apply for both visa at the same time in Thailand, for UK and also for the SchengenVisa.

#3 Stocky

Posted 20 August 2008 - 01:14 AM

Not tried an agency it was easy enough to do it myself.

Best advice is to provide them with everything. Two main areas you need to assure them of. Firstly your ability to finance her, they ask for the last six months bank statements, I also supplied a letter from my employer detailing my position and income. Secondly evidence to suggest your girlfriend will return home at the end of six months, does she have a job, if so a letter from her employer, does she have property, in which case the Chanote (deeds), does she have dependents, if so details, has she travelled overseas before, previous passports. They require originals of everything. As it's a girlfriend they'll want evidence to show you've been together sometime, so letters, photographs emails etc.

Best of luck.

#4 sceadugenga

Posted 20 August 2008 - 02:15 AM

My English neighbor managed it without too many difficulties, took about three months, but he was married to her in Thailand.
Off topic, the girl never lasted six months, she couldn't wait to get back to Thailand... it was too cold (England in July?), the food was crap....

#5 britmaveric

Posted 20 August 2008 - 03:27 AM

Well gf needs to proof she will return to the Thailand.....

What sort work does she do?
Dosh in Bank?
Own Property (land)?
Family ties

6mo is quite a long time for a tourist visa on first go around, better chance going for a way shorter time period. The ECO will wonder how she can leave her employment for such a long time. Once she successfully gets visa and returns it will make it ever so easy to get the next one.

#6 elsie

Posted 20 August 2008 - 05:11 AM

I got 6 months visa on first attempt. Easy enough if the application was legitimate.

#7 britmaveric

Posted 20 August 2008 - 12:38 PM

Not sure its that easy these days Elsie, ECO is a right pain the arse - very suspicious.

#8 Stocky

Posted 20 August 2008 - 12:50 PM

Brit said:

6mo is quite a long time for a tourist visa on first go around better chance going for a way shorter time period.
The standard UK visitors visa is valid for six months, they don't do a shorter one.

#9 britmaveric

Posted 20 August 2008 - 12:56 PM

Quite correct Stocky about valid date, but you in reality you need to put the exact dates on your travel plans - if you say 1 month. Then you return after two months - might as well forget about future visa(s), the ECO won't look so kindly on it.

#10 Stocky

Posted 20 August 2008 - 01:13 PM

Planned length of stay, I would agree, if you say you're going for two weeks they'll be happier, you can always change the flight once you're in the UK, the period of entry granted at UK immigration will be for six months.

#11 Nordlys

Posted 20 August 2008 - 01:52 PM

View PostStocky, on 2008-08-20 20:13:17, said:

the period of entry granted at UK immigration will be for six months.

Is this the case with British tourist visa regardless of how many days you ask for?  
When my wife applied for Schengen visa at Italian embassy in Bangkok they only gave her exact days she asked for.

#12 britmaveric

Posted 20 August 2008 - 01:54 PM

Nordlys - technically visa is valid for 6months - however as I stated before the ECO will hold it against your next visa if you decide to change your plans from what you initially stated in the visa application.

#13 Nordlys

Posted 20 August 2008 - 02:05 PM

When you say the visa is valid for six months you mean that's how long it allows you to stay maximum regardless how many days you asked for right?

Edited by Nordlys, 20 August 2008 - 02:06 PM.

#14 britmaveric

Posted 20 August 2008 - 02:06 PM

Yes B)

#15 Love Monkey

Posted 23 August 2008 - 11:10 AM

I took my fiance and her mum to the UK in April this year.  Both of them got a visa without any issue.  The only thing you need to do is satisfy UK immigration that your girlfriend has the means to support herself (or someone capabe of supporting her) for the duration of her stay and that will leave the UK when she is supposed to.  There are a few things you can provide to help show this such as bank accounts from you or her, a letter from your employer (or hers) stating that you are in employment and your salary is ###, a letter from you stating that for the duration of her stay, your gf will be staying with you and you can provide her food and accomodation etc. As far as I am aware you don't even need to prove you're in a relationship for a temporary visitor's visa (as this is not a requirement as a sponsor for this type of visa).

Have a look here:

http://www.bia.homeo.../visitingtheuk/

for more information and to find the right forms to download and fill in for your gf's application.

If you like I can send you a template of the letter I sent for my fiance and her mother's visa application and letter from my employer.  It will need tweaking slightly (as I am a British national living in New Zealand) but will give you an idea.  Although our stay only lasted 2 weeks, the prinicpal is the same.  Let me know if I can be of any more help, as I am more than happy to give any information I can and I can find out exactly what my fiance had to do at her end to get the visa too.  Other than that, good luck with the application, and I hope you have a great time with your girl together.

#16 Andrew Hicks

Posted 24 August 2008 - 10:50 AM

Paul,

It's a lottery getting a UK tourist visa.  They are simply looking for pretexts for refusing one on grounds that it is presumed Thai women will abscond for nefarious reasons.

I am a qualified British lawyer with a totally unsullied past and my longstanding girlfriend, now my wife was refused a visa on totally bogus grounds.  I was so incensed I even wrote a book about it!  (Have a look at MY THAI GIRL AND I... details on the web.)

Essentially you need to prove three things...
- that she has a good reason for travelling, namely a valid relationship of reasonably long standing with you,
- that accomodation and money is available for her during her stay, and
- that she will not overstay her visa... ie has substantial reasons for returning to Thailand.

These things are not easy to establish and the more paper you put in, the more they will scrutinise them for 'inconsistencies' in the story.  

Good luck... it's a bloody business.

Andrew

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 Orient Expat™
Contact us/Advertise