Orient Expat Friends

UOB free ATM's in Thailand (no 150 Baht charge)

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Crazy Horse

Posted 01 August 2009 - 04:43 AM

I saw a thread on here months back about ATM's in BKK charging 150B for foreign bank withdrawals.

UOB does not charge. They have ATM's on Mezzanine floor Paragon (near bathrooms), Nana Skytrain station (Exit 1), 50 meters East of Emporium on Sukhumvit, etc.  Haven't seen one in MBK, though.
CH

#2 กำนัน

Posted 01 August 2009 - 08:09 AM

That's good to know, thanks. Don't forget that UOB is actually a Singaporean bank, not Thai...
So, we've got the following confirmed as not levying the charge:

• Government Savings Bank
  • UOB
  • Ayudhya???

#3 Stocky

Posted 01 August 2009 - 09:27 AM

Bank of Ayudhya now charges the Bht150.

#4 lix

Posted 06 August 2009 - 12:16 PM

careful though - i have been using UOB for months , then the other day i tried to withdraw 4 times in a row and it rejected my card, thought nothing of it and tried a bangkok bank with the 150b charge. Took my dosh and went home, then i checked my statement online  - UOB had taken my money 4x and the 150b charge 4x. Luckily Nationwide spotted something fishy and got on the case getting my money back and issuing a correction. Same thing happened to my friend with Bangkok Bank/UOB and another the other day, he tried 3 banks and they all said here is your money rather than cancelled transaction. The machine didnt spit the money out and he phoned his credit card company, they said it was lucky he had called straight away otherwise he might not of been able to get his money back, there is a pending 2 week investigation but the card company have said this seems to be happening far too often in Thailand at the moment.What concerns me is that many a time over the last year i have gone to take out baht and the machine has said insufficient funds and cancelled on me for no reason - i may have well been ripped off without knowing.

BEWARE

#5 (Member banned)

Posted 06 August 2009 - 06:59 PM

I do not really care about this baht 150,- fee. I withdraw always baht 20.000,- and baht 150,- is less than 1 percent.

About ATMs with errors, I use only Siam Commercial Bank in Thailand and only their ATMs next to a branch office during their business hours.

I had no problem so far. I will see next week, as I am going again to Pattaya for a short vacation.

#6 (Member banned)

Posted 29 August 2009 - 09:56 AM

I just noticed this sentence in a report ...(USA-related)

http://finance.yahoo...ou-in-debt.html

Transaction fees can also add up quickly. Remember, if you withdraw money from an ATM instead of your bank, the average $1.50 fee is charged both by the cash machine AND by your bank.

As far as I understand, you have to pay totally USD 3,- as fee within the USA if you withdraw money from an ATM instead using the cash-machine of your own bank.

This is about baht 100,- for a transaction within the same nation in USD. Nobody seems to complain however.

And Thailand is charging baht 150,- for FOREIGN banks?

How much is USA charging for a foreign bank cash/card withdrawal, when using an ATM? And how much will the foreign bank be charged?

View PostStocky, on 01 August 2009 - 09:27 AM, said:

Bank of Ayudhya now charges the Bht150.
Siam Commercial Bank is also charging the baht 150,- however you get a very clear warning about it BEFORE you agree to that transaction.

I had no errors, while using the Siam Commercial Bank ATMs in front of their bank offices in Pattaya/Jomtien during office time using my Japanese Citibank Cash-Card and Japanese Citibank Credit-Card last week.
Their ATMs were all working OK, also the passbook update and the cash deposit machine too.

However what I noticed the first time is a strange, unusual high exchange rate for that transaction, which is worse than changing money in cash even. For sure this was not the usual TTB-rate as used before.

This is new and this was never before - It seems, it is now better you bring cash money instead using any ATM in Thailand with a foreign credit/cash card.

Has anybody else a similar observation recently?

In my case the difference cash/card was (for baht 20000,-) :

1) + baht 150,- as fee
and
2) + approx baht 200,- out of the exchange rate difference.

Totally about baht 350,-

As I took baht 20000,- on arrival and some days later again baht 20000,- the total difference is about baht 700,-.
The same with both transaction. Unusual high exchange rate...

#7 lix

Posted 29 August 2009 - 03:30 PM

UOB near me is now charging the 150 baht fee, arrrrggghhh .are any banks still free?

#8 (Member banned)

Posted 29 August 2009 - 05:27 PM

View Postlix, on 29 August 2009 - 03:30 PM, said:

UOB near me is now charging the 150 baht fee, arrrrggghhh .are any banks still free?
Thai banks of course are learningquickly from US-banks.

But what else do Thai banks charge? Additionally to the baht 150 fee? Additionally to the unusual bad exchange rate?

I just came home from Thailand, and I see in my statement that I got beside what I mentioned already in my previous posting, also an additionally baht 70,- fee for using an overseas ATM x 2 times, makes baht 140,-.

This fee however was paid back to me today by CitibankJapan, due to my Gold-Citibank-Cashcard status. However anybody, who has not a Gold-Cashcard with CitibankJapan, will pay that fees too.

Maybe in future we will move back again to cash money?

#9 lix

Posted 30 August 2009 - 03:26 AM

I just find the concept of being charged to access my money ludicrous.  £3 (150 baht) plus my banks charge to get at my money.  I said to the lady in UOB that this was expensive, she looked at me and said really? 150 baht?  As if it was nothing for a foreigner! T

There and then i could just see the justification team talk inside the bank when this was implemented: " so ladies and gentlemen, farang have loadsa money so we will be charging them 150 baht per withdrawal to boost our profits"....intelligent guy says, "that sounds too much, that is half my daily wage, surely that will discourage people from coming here if we just rip them off", boss replies, "farangs are very rich you know, they don't care they just come here for the women anyway".

£3 even twice a month is £72 a year (nearly 4,000 baht)........PLUS MY BANK CHARGES ON TOP taking the total over £100 !!

Does anybody know of any free ATMs still?
I am looking into opening a thai bank account and putting money in there for free withdrawals.

#10 Stocky

Posted 30 August 2009 - 03:35 AM

No, I think they're all now imposing the Bht150 levy.

Though, as Yohan suggests, if you maximise your withdrawals, I think it's Bangkok Bank that has a limit of 25,000 (the bank with the dark blue and orange colour scheme), you can reduce the impact of bank charges both here and with your own bank.

#11 (Member banned)

Posted 30 August 2009 - 04:10 AM

View PostStocky, on 30 August 2009 - 03:35 AM, said:

.....Though, as Yohan suggests, if you maximise your withdrawals, ..... you can reduce the impact of bank charges both here and with your own bank.
This is not only a problem between Thailand and UK. It's worldwide, if you are living in Asia, in my case Japan, and if a part of your income is paid in your homecountry, in my case Austria into an Austrian banking account in Euro.

There is always a loss for you as the customer, either because of fees, or because of exchange rates, regardless how you are transferring the money. etc. Banks are expecting a profit out of any transaction.

The best is still to maximise withdrawals, using the upper-most limits, otherwise there is little what you can do about.

Also check all your banking accounts, and close all those, which are idle, which you do not use frequently.
It is better -  considering regular banking fees - not to disperse your money but to use only one bank in your homecountry and only one in your hostcountry.

#12 Crazy Horse

Posted 03 September 2009 - 04:43 PM

[font="Arial"][/font]yes, the honeymoon is over. UOB is now charging 150B at all ATM's. Nothing gold can stay.

Anyone know of any ATM's that are still free?

I'm paid in the US, so it's expensive for me to get my hands on my own money. The ATM here charges a fee, my bank in the US charges both a fee and a conversion fee. Just another ripoff by the big banks.

CH

#13 Wigboy

Posted 03 September 2009 - 04:58 PM

I used AEON Thana Sinsap (Thailand) inside the Tesco-Lotus near MBK. Not sure if they are in all T-L, but there was no service charge. I needed to take back a bunch of cash to Savannakhet, Laos, so I tried the machine due to a line at the others. Shocked to see no charge. Went back the next day for another and was stopped by a staffer(it was like a small bank branch) and she tried to tell me it wasn't an international ATM. I showed her my slip from the previous day, and she pointed at the other banks ATM's in the open area. I blew her off and used it a second time, again with no charge. It must be a small bank as I had never seen the name before. Cheers!

I should have mentioned that this was on the 15th, and 16th of August. Both were for the 20,000 Bt Max... Ciao!

... just be happy you're not taking money out of an ATM in Laos. 2800 Bt Max withdrawl from international ATM card and 80 Bt Lao bank fee. It costs me $12 Canadian to Take out $100 Canadian by the time all is said and done!

#14 bkk_mike

Posted 04 September 2009 - 07:20 AM

If you go to Hong Kong, open a bank account with HSBC there, and you can still withdraw cash from ATMS in Thailand for free.

I believe it's because HSBC is using the plus network, not Visa or Mastercard, so it's not a debit card also.

Other good things... - international transfer from HK to Thailand on the Internet is 110 HKD (less than £9), and when I've done it in the past, it's been credited to the bank account in Thailand on the same day.

Compare that to the UK where international transfers are more expensive, and slower (and I don't mean next day - usually 2 or 3 days).
Half the time, transfers between different parts of my own bank in the UK aren't even same day... - i.e. from my share account to my current account - is 3 days for god alone knows what reason when they're with the same bank, and this is after having to wait 3 days for the cash from the sale of shares to be available to transfer out...

If you live in Thailand - simple answer is to give up banking in the UK. (Note: I opened the HK bank account with my UK address...)

#15 กำนัน

Posted 04 September 2009 - 08:31 AM

Indeed bkk_mike... I have accounts in Thailand and Hong Kong and I plan on exiting the UK banking system altogether.

The trouble with my Hong Kong account is that I can't use the card outside Hong Kong at this time, it's just a local use card with BOCHK and I can't set up international transfers via Internet unless I show my face in the branch, although I should be in Hong Kong in the next month or two for a short visit. I also no longer live in Hong Kong, so I don't know how I will stand if I try to get an international ATM card issued, as I believe they send the card to your registered address (my account still has my old address in Hong Kong), unlike Thailand where they are issued in branch, as you know.

#16 กำนัน

Posted 07 September 2009 - 09:15 AM

I used a Government Savings Bank ATM a couple of weeks ago and although it didn't charge, it mentioned a charge may be applied for some transactions (I hadn't noticed that before)... However, I drew on my UK funds from GSB on Saturday evening and there was no such message... and the ATM slip said 0.00 Charge... so I can confirm that Government Savings Bank is still not levying the fee... at least certainly not the one at BigC Chiang Rai.

#17 Uncle Gweilo

Posted 07 September 2009 - 09:28 AM

View PostMandrunk, on 07 September 2009 - 09:15 AM, said:

so I can confirm that Government Savings Bank is still not levying the fee... at least certainly not the one at BigC Chiang Rai.

At least not for the present.

#18 kamikaze

Posted 08 September 2009 - 05:53 AM

Has anyone ever tried writing a personal cheque from an overseas bank and depositing it in a local Thai bank? I saw someone say they had done it at Bangkok Bank, took 21 days to clear and the charge was 200 baht.

#19 rae1968

Posted 08 September 2009 - 10:27 AM

Here in U.S. as long as I use my banks ATM its free. When I use a different bank its a 1.50.

#20 Crazy Horse

Posted 24 September 2009 - 04:46 PM

Wigboy's right, AEON ATM machines in Tesco don't charge any fee for international ATM withdrawals.

Good call!

#21 Wigboy

Posted 28 September 2009 - 02:18 PM

Thanks for the update! I will be back in BKK mid Oct, so I'll be sure to hit that ATM when I am there!

#22 กำนัน

Posted 28 September 2009 - 02:38 PM

The last couple of times I tried to use the Government Savings Bank ATM in Chiang Rai BigC, it instantly failed, stating that there was a communication error. A few minutes later, I used BKK Bank ATM (obviously, with the ฿150 charge) with no problems, so the issue is not my card but the GSB ATM/network. This was on at least two separate occasions, several days apart... looks like that one *might* be coming to an end.

#23 กำนัน

Posted 06 January 2010 - 07:29 AM

... and it did. GSB now levies the charge.

#24 MixedupJim

Posted 03 March 2010 - 07:43 AM

Just thought i'd post a quick update here seeing as the pound has fallen to 48bahts today :rofl2:

Bank of Ayudhya (the bright yellow one!) now does not seem to charge 150 bahts for foreign withdrawals. Tested with my UK HSBC Visa Debit card at the branch in Central Festival, Pattaya and also on one of the stand alone ATMs in Big C., Pattaya :rofl2:

Edited by MixedupJim, 03 March 2010 - 07:44 AM.

#25 kamikaze

Posted 30 May 2011 - 01:57 PM

From what I've seen on various forums, there is still no fee on AEON, CitiBank and HSBC ATMs.

AEON ATMs: http://www.aeonthail...8,-8765&lang=en

#26 Party Pooper

Posted 30 May 2011 - 11:27 PM

I can vouch for AEON. Been using them since Kasikorn implemented the 150 baht fee.

#27 Stocky

Posted 31 May 2011 - 03:20 AM

HSBC ATMs in Thailand are rarer than an honest politician.

#28 kamikaze

Posted 31 May 2011 - 03:49 AM

Right but Citi and AEON are both available in Asoke Road - convenient for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 Orient Expat™
Contact us/Advertise