Asia Hotels

Laptop prices in Hong Kong

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 lao3hero

Posted 13 August 2009 - 08:54 AM

Hi all,

Wondering if u guys know if it's cheaper to buy laptops in HK or other countries eg. Singapore? Thanks a lot! :angry:

Or rather, issit safe?

#2 BakedHK

Posted 13 August 2009 - 09:09 AM

I think the world is about all at the same level by now. You know you can get the slightly more expensive laptop, knowing that if it breaks you can always get it fixed. Or you can by the less known brands for dirt cheap, knowing that if it breaks you have to go to a small computer shop in the darkest places of an outdoor mall to get it fixed. Either way... it’s all the same. With that in mind, if you are looking for a good computer for cheap, I know a place. I always call it the golden shower mall; it is near some outdoor huge market thing in the street. I can get you the real name and address if you like. It is FULL... I do mean FULL of places to shop around for a computer. All the locals will tell you to go there if they like you, if not; they send you to fortress ha-ha. (I bought 2 laptops for fortress and got the 5 year international warrantee) I also bought one small laptop from that golden shower place and it still runs fine, I use it for work. I built a computer by ordering parts online, but that’s for games :angry: hope this was a little informational.

#3 TizMe

Posted 13 August 2009 - 11:42 AM

My daughter was buying a Dell laptop a few months ago. I compared the price that the Australian website was quoting agianst the price for the Singapore site to see if it would be better for me to buy it here for her as was going to be travelling to Australia soon after.

I was surprised to find that the cost was much cheaper in Australia for the same product.

The price quoted in Australia was AUD998 and the exact same model in Singapore was SGD1549.

At that time the exchange rate was pretty close to 1 for 1.

#4 lao3hero

Posted 13 August 2009 - 02:24 PM

View PostBakedHK, on 13 August 2009 - 09:09 AM, said:

I think the world is about all at the same level by now. You know you can get the slightly more expensive laptop, knowing that if it breaks you can always get it fixed. Or you can by the less known brands for dirt cheap, knowing that if it breaks you have to go to a small computer shop in the darkest places of an outdoor mall to get it fixed. Either way... it’s all the same. With that in mind, if you are looking for a good computer for cheap, I know a place. I always call it the golden shower mall; it is near some outdoor huge market thing in the street. I can get you the real name and address if you like. It is FULL... I do mean FULL of places to shop around for a computer. All the locals will tell you to go there if they like you, if not; they send you to fortress ha-ha. (I bought 2 laptops for fortress and got the 5 year international warrantee) I also bought one small laptop from that golden shower place and it still runs fine, I use it for work. I built a computer by ordering parts online, but that’s for games :angry: hope this was a little informational.

hey, man. Thanks a million for your very detailed information. I've heard some bad feedback about Fortress, issit true? Thx again :D

View PostTizMe, on 13 August 2009 - 11:42 AM, said:

My daughter was buying a Dell laptop a few months ago. I compared the price that the Australian website was quoting agianst the price for the Singapore site to see if it would be better for me to buy it here for her as was going to be travelling to Australia soon after.

I was surprised to find that the cost was much cheaper in Australia for the same product.

The price quoted in Australia was AUD998 and the exact same model in Singapore was SGD1549.

At that time the exchange rate was pretty close to 1 for 1.

wow, that's a great difference! I shall do comparison using your methodology too, thx!

#5 cheesindave

Posted 13 August 2009 - 02:39 PM

Yes, the Golden Arcade in Sham Shui Po is certainly the cheapest place in Hong Kong for buying laptops also Wanchai Computer Centre is very good, which is where I bought my laptop a couple of years ago.

http://www.hong-kong.../ShamShuiPo.asp

http://www.hong-kong...puterCentre.asp

#6 lao3hero

Posted 13 August 2009 - 02:43 PM

Thanks, mate. I will be moving from Singapore to Hong Kong sometime year-end, hence contemplating if I should get a lappy in Singapore or in HK, u see.

#7 BakedHK

Posted 13 August 2009 - 03:09 PM

yes.. the golden shower computer place.. sweet place.. I personally think that fortress is wonderful.. A little over priced BUT the warranty are really worth it.. I personally have bought two laptops (both hp) one for 10000 HKD and one for 4500 HKD, a 42 inch flat screen 10000 HKD and a Nikon 5000 for around 7000 HKD.. Everyone has kick ass warranty and i am very happy with the performance of everything so far.

#8 lao3hero

Posted 13 August 2009 - 03:14 PM

okie dokie, thx a million! ^^

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 Orient Expat™
Contact us/Advertise