Asia Hotels

Teacher Salary in Hong Kong

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 rae1968

Posted 23 August 2009 - 09:28 AM

Hi All,

I have applied for a teaching job in HK. The comapny is looking for qualified teachers and the package looks pretty good. However, since I have never lived in HK I am not sure how good the package is. Here is what they offer:

Monthly Salary HK$22,985 - HK$48,400 (approx. $3,000-$6,500)
Airfare Roundtrip airfare included (reimbursed upon arrival)
Airfare provided to families for up to 5 persons
Accommodation Housing Allowance of HK$14,245/month(approx. $2000/month)
Vacation National holidays, summer vacation(flexible, determined by school)
Medical Insurance Allowance for Family Health Care
Additional Benefits Bonus Pay, Retention Bonus, Cash Advances on Salary
Luggage Allowance, Medical Allowance, Free flight

I have seven years worth of experience and two master's degrees. So I feel I could be on the higher end of the payscale. What do guys think? Is it generous for HK?

#2 METHOS

Posted 23 August 2009 - 10:05 AM

Welcome to OE, Rae.

Depending on what you will be teaching, that package seems quite generous/fair. Will you be living alone (supporting yourself)? Do you know 'where' you'll be teaching? Housing prices can vary greatly depending on location, and access to reasonable commute is crucial.

This will not only look good on your resume, but the life experience(s) that will be had are priceless.
I can't imagine that your salary in the States is going to be too much higher - $5,000 - $8,500 USD/month...?

I don't know where you're currently living in the States, but life in Hong Kong is going to be hard to beat. Aside from the obvious benefits that can be seen/experienced locally, you'll also have the benefit(s) of being able to travel to several other foreign countries easily/cheaply - as HK is an 'international gateway'.

You made mention of being a mom - will you be bringing your children with you? If not, what are you waiting for?

Good luck,
-M

#3 rae1968

Posted 23 August 2009 - 10:45 AM

Yes the salary is not much better! In fact, no housing allowance and the taxes here in NY are brutal. In fact I am on the low end around 5,000. Dosnt bother me to tell you since teacher salaries here can be found on the internet. If you know where to look.
Finnacially, I will come out ahead with more available spending money, just not sure how much things cost like cable, gas etc.

I have a sixteen year old son, he's my only child. Believe it or not he is the primary reason I am considering moving he wants to be a chinese translator. I was considering the mainland because they speak mandrian there and mostly because we loved it. But the pay is not sufficent enough (I have student loans). My mother is trying to talk me out of going. She says according to her research my son wont earn as much if he gets a degree from china, that the chinese value a american education more. She wants him to get his degree here than go. Not sure if thats true. However, how will he become fluent in Mandrian and/or Cantonese living in the states?

Not sure where I be yet I am still in the beginning stages of the process. Hopefully before the end of the school year we will be in HK. I have been looking at apartments I have found some 3 bedrooms in the 15,000-20,00hkd range pictures look good wont know if its to good to true till I get there.

#4 BakedHK

Posted 24 August 2009 - 03:31 PM

i hate you

and no, he will never get fluent enough in the states.. he needs to be around it all the time.. I am trying to learn right now. I am a english teacher. If he wants to be a translator.. do you really think that a AMERICAN degree will look better than a CHINESE one when he is speaking in chinese? I did not think so ..   BTW- I don't really hate you

#5 rae1968

Posted 24 August 2009 - 07:48 PM

Your cute! How old are you 24? When I get to HK I will adopt you! Altough I am to young and beautiful for a child you age but, for you I will make an exception! So the package is good then?

#6 METHOS

Posted 24 August 2009 - 08:27 PM

You will survive. -Your comfort level cannot be gauged, however.

Have you chosen a school for your son, or will he be home-schooled?
If he's not particular, I would recommend that he learn the Mandarin dialect (simplified, preferably). However, if he plans on living in Hong Kong for the rest/majority of his life, then Cantonese is the obvious choice (or traditional Mandarin - at the very least).

Then again, he's only 16. -He may want to be a fisherman next month (maybe a hockey player?).

And for everything else - I choose to bite my tongue.

-Good luck.

#7 rae1968

Posted 24 August 2009 - 09:43 PM

Methos my son has been studying Chinese for two years now at our local Chinese school. He is pretty committed to the language. However, he is not sure how he wants to use it to become teacher businessman, translator, or fisherman, that changes daily. :unsure:

#8 BakedHK

Posted 25 August 2009 - 03:10 PM

we can be a father son teaching team! will be loads of fun.

I wanted to tell you. If you are on the higher end then yes, you will be fine. If you need some help once here, I can help and also my wife. My wife is native hong kong, we can teach you all the tricks of the trade :-p. If you are on the lower end, I think it will be a little harder. Together, me and my wife make the higher end of your pay scale. We live a good life, and we spend all out money on food and hookers. I mean.. food

#9 rae1968

Posted 25 August 2009 - 04:21 PM

Thanks, A friend of mine and is considering the move as well! We are both single moms thinking about trying something different with our lives her child is about the same age as my son. We want to about travel to HK and Xian (around christmas or spring break)to get a feel the colleges and cities. I have been to Xian already we loved it there. If I had an offer for half the money of the HK job I would be on a plane in a minute.

We have already researched information about potential colleges and schools. We just need to see the places in person and then dwell on it for a few motnhs be for they apply (or not). My friend has never been to China, so this intial trip will be important for her in making a decision.

#10 BakedHK

Posted 26 August 2009 - 05:02 PM

omg she is a chick.. thought you had 2 bells on a string.. sorry momma.. no offense :unsure: hope you are a milf..  the baked man is out

#11 rae1968

Posted 27 August 2009 - 12:25 AM

LOL no worries! Your can't be a special education teacher in the inner city and have delicate sensibilities!

#12 michelemcf

Posted 27 August 2009 - 09:08 AM

Pay and conditions sound like it's a NET position i.e. Native English-Speaking Teacher organised by the Education Dept in HK. You can live easily in HK on that income, as long as you don't mind living in a small flat. Many NETs experience problems with their schools, however, so if you're talking to a particular school, ask lots of questions about teaching load, hours, extra-curricular activities, and holidays to make sure you're happy before you sign. It's a big hassle to try and find a new school if you hate the one you've signed the contract with.

Will your son be attending secondary school? I think there's only one Putonghua medium school in HK. Most are Cantonese medium of instruction, although they teach Putonghua and English as well. Only alternative would be an international school, which can be hard to get into and very expensive. You might want to do your research first.

Good luck! HK's a pretty good place to live. Not perfect (pollution, noise, crowds, heat and humidity), but what place is?

#13 METHOS

Posted 27 August 2009 - 11:04 AM

View Postmichelemcf, on 27 August 2009 - 09:08 AM, said:

Not perfect (pollution, noise, crowds, heat and humidity), but what place is?
-Anywhere within a 5 mile radius of where I am standing.

#14 rae1968

Posted 27 August 2009 - 02:39 PM

View Postmichelemcf, on 27 August 2009 - 09:08 AM, said:

Pay and conditions sound like it's a NET position i.e. Native English-Speaking Teacher organised by the Education Dept in HK.

Your right it is a NET position I am looking into. Good info on the schools though. I have been checking into schools for my son. I am thinking about a ESF school for a IB diploma or Keystone National High School its accredited on-line school and students who graduated from this school attend very good colleges back home. however, I still have time to decide.

#15 BakedHK

Posted 01 September 2009 - 01:56 PM

every time rae types its like i can feel her next to me.. whispering soft nothings into my ears

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 Orient Expat™
Contact us/Advertise