Asia Hotels

Documents for getting married in Thailand

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 theloneranger

Posted 08 November 2009 - 08:41 PM

hi

i am coming to bangkok in january and i want to get to the british embassy before it closes at 3.15pm.  my flight gets in at 12.30, but i want to know how long a taxi will take from the airport to the british embassy in lumpini? i want to save time as i am collecting all the documents i need to get married and want to do it quickly as possible so me and my gf can have as much time together for vacation in vietnam.

if i pick-up my affirmation the next day from the embassy at 9am when it opens, i could then get the translation done next to the embassy, travel to the ministry of affairs and get the Official’s signature and certification of the Thai translation on a same day service. Then we could be ready to marry the next day or when we arrive back from vietnam. time is of the essence as we are visiting her folks in roiet and from there we will travel onto vietnam through laos.  

so is it possible to collect all the documents in one day. if we decide to marry in an amphur in roiet instead of bangkok is this also possible?

i don't have access to the internet at the moment but will check your replies on thursday.

thanks

#2 kamikaze

Posted 09 November 2009 - 03:08 AM

View Posttheloneranger, on 08 November 2009 - 08:41 PM, said:

i am coming to bangkok in january and i want to get to the british embassy before it closes at 3.15pm.  my flight gets in at 12.30, but i want to know how long a taxi will take from the airport to the british embassy in lumpini?
About 45 minutes, but not longer than an hour if you take the tollway. You come down from the expressway at Ploenchit, turn right into Ploenchit Road and right again into Wireless Road.

#3 Stocky

Posted 09 November 2009 - 12:20 PM

Theloneranger said:

if we decide to marry in an amphur in roiet instead of bangkok is this also possible?
The affirmation is valid for 3 months and can be used at any amphur.

#4 skydiver777

Posted 10 November 2009 - 04:12 AM

Be prepared for a possible snag at The Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
They may require you to come back the next day for collection.

#5 Stocky

Posted 10 November 2009 - 04:47 AM

I paid one of the companies that do the translation service to get the MFA certification, they do a same day service, it was a shop near the junction with Pleonchit, I'd avoid the touts buzzing around the embassy.

#6 theloneranger

Posted 13 November 2009 - 05:38 PM

thanks for all your help on this matter. i think i will use a same day service at a translation office to secure the MFA certification. I think will get married when i get back from vietnam but will only have a couple of days to register at an amphur before i fly back home. so apart from going to the british embassy, MFA office and going to the amphur to tie the knot, are any other documents i need. also as i won't be taking any smart clothes with me on vacation, just t-shirt, shorts and trainers. What kind of attire should i get married in. maybe could buy a cheap thai shirt and pants. what would you recommend? Also what happens in the amphur office, whats the procedure? is there some short ceremony for getting married?

#7 กำนัน

Posted 13 November 2009 - 06:07 PM

View Posttheloneranger, on 13 November 2009 - 05:38 PM, said:

What kind of attire should i get married in. maybe could buy a cheap thai shirt and pants. what would you recommend? Also what happens in the amphur office, whats the procedure? is there some short ceremony for getting married
If the senior official of the Amphur is available (when a foreigner is involved, only he can register the marriage), all your paperwork is in order and there is no queue, you'll be in and out in 20 minutes. There is no pomp and ceremony, or any complimentary platter of sliced pineapple to congratulate you... it's just rubber stamping your marriage and issuing you both with a marriage certificate...

See: Registration of Marriage in Thailand

You could go in a vest and flip flops I guess... but you're going to meet an Amphur official to be married, make a little effort for goodness sake, even if it's just a crisp new polo shirt.

#8 pirate

Posted 14 November 2009 - 07:12 AM

seems to me if you are willing to dress like a backpacker on what should be a very special day....you must not have the maturaty to marry in the first place..zip in..zip out...

#9 Stocky

Posted 14 November 2009 - 07:44 AM

Getting married at the Amphur in Hat Yai we had to take a ticket and wait, but it was Valentine's Day. Once our number came up it was all over in a flash.

#10 theloneranger

Posted 16 November 2009 - 08:00 PM

View PostStocky, on 10 November 2009 - 04:47 AM, said:

I paid one of the companies that do the translation service to get the MFA certification, they do a same day service, it was a shop near the junction with Pleonchit, I'd avoid the touts buzzing around the embassy.
do you remember how much the same day service cost?

View PostMandrunk, on 13 November 2009 - 06:07 PM, said:

If the senior official of the Amphur is available (when a foreigner is involved, only he can register the marriage), all your paperwork is in order and there is no queue, you'll be in and out in 20 minutes. There is no pomp and ceremony, or any complimentary platter of sliced pineapple to congratulate you... it's just rubber stamping your marriage and issuing you both with a marriage certificate...

See: Registration of Marriage in Thailand

You could go in a vest and flip flops I guess... but you're going to meet an Amphur official to be married, make a little effort for goodness sake, even if it's just a crisp new polo shirt.
some shiny white nike air trainers, long shorts, oh and a new crisp polo shirt(preferably a fake lacoste from the market) like you advised should do the trick! I'm not one for ceremonies and dressing up, so this suits me down the ground! My girlfriends not bothered either although she is pestering me about buying a ring. I have set a budget of 2500 baht, it might be more but as i not buying one for myself maybe she can have a little extra! i hate wearing rings anyway.  I told her no one will notice if you buy a cheap or an expensive ring.  So if all is well and good, the marriage should only cost 3000 baht for embassy, 1000 mfi, 10 bob for the amphur and 2500 baht for the ring. thats only 6500 baht, just over £100 quid. Oh and i will buy her dear mum a few gifts and and throw her father some new robes and a pair of flip flops.  I'm not a complete bastard though. I will promise her that, when we have some money in the future, i will take her back to isan one day and give her a proper wedding.  We can also do something back in England to, but my folks can pay for that! so thanks for all your help. I shall report back after january and tell what happened.

#11 Stocky

Posted 17 November 2009 - 01:08 AM

I can't be sure 800 next day 1200 same day sort of rings a bell, but it was a few years ago now.

That's for both translation and certification.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 Orient Expat™
Contact us/Advertise