Asia Hotels

Need car rental in Kuala Lumpur

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 Rayme

Posted 10 February 2010 - 02:17 PM

Hi people...

I'm currently staying in Subang jaya with a bunch of colleagues and working in KL.  We commute daily using taxi but  the way the cabbies charge over here is outrageous.

Therefore, we would like to rent a car on monthly basis instead... so can anyone please suggest a good company / contact person and number. Something with reasonable price??

#2 Uncle Gweilo

Posted 10 February 2010 - 02:38 PM

Have you tried the major hire car companies such as Avis?

http://www.avis.com.my/

Depending on how long you want it or, more to the point, potentially how many Km's you're going to stick on the odometer, you could maybe strike a pretty decent deal with one of them. trade one company off against another.

Have you looked at the various pros and cons of buying a decent secondhand car, using it for the time you require, then selling it?

How many months are you looking to rent this car? Are you all non-Malaysians? How may of you are there? Will something small like a Proton Satria do or will you need something large like a people mover?

Can't/wont the company you work for stump up and get you a car?

What's wrong with public transport, or do you need the car for more than just getting from home to work and vice versa?

Yadda yadda yadda...

Edited by Uncle Gweilo, 10 February 2010 - 02:45 PM.

#3 Rayme

Posted 10 February 2010 - 02:45 PM

View PostUncle Gweilo, on 10 February 2010 - 02:38 PM, said:

Have you tried the major hire car companies such as Avis?

http://www.avis.com.my/

Yes, we've tried that one before and several others... Too expensive... Our budget is something below RM2000 a month...

#4 Uncle Gweilo

Posted 10 February 2010 - 02:55 PM

So, what is it costing you on a daily basis to get to and from work?

#5 yohan

Posted 10 February 2010 - 06:16 PM

Cheap and easy own transport is by your own motorcycle, if you cannot afford a car in Malaysia.

Public transport can be difficult, as many Malaysians prefer their own car or motorcycle, if this is a regular route every day, it would be better to negotiate with a taxi-driver to pick you up and bring you to work and back an a daily basis.

Rent a car, like Avis, compared to Thailand and Singapore, the quality of the cars was remarkable bad. And expensive. And do not ask me why.

I gave the Avis car back after 2 repairings in Port Dickson and in Malacca, and they changed the car and again I had to change it for another one in Penang some days later.

I was then asking around in the Indian community (the best exchange rate and able to organize all and everything) - a young Indian man was showing up suddenly as a driver and he had his own car and he was very nice and did a good job, and I remember he was much cheaper than the rent of AVIS rent a car.

Another time also I took a car from another company, in KLIA direct in the airport. Same, only troubles, bad lights... it is getting rather dark outside in Port Dickson....also changed for a car with a driver near KLIA in a small city called NILAI, after the rent-a-car broke down.

I don't know if the situation is still the same, but my experience about AVIS etc. rent-a-car is very bad.

#6 กำนัน

Posted 10 February 2010 - 07:08 PM

Haven't you looked into vehicle leasing companies? I hammered out a couple of brief pages on leasing for the Hong Kong and Singapore sections but nothing for Malaysia yet, it would be useful information I think... but better still...

As Uncle Gweilo said, if you're there long term, buy a second hand car and get set up with your own transport. I once purchased a car in New Zealand, drove it from north to south and back again, and then sold it at a profit as I recall. You could head on down to your local used car dealer with a bunch of cash, call an insurer and be legally on the road in hours. If you haven't done so already, get yourself an ASEAN driver's license and you can drive anywhere in the region.

#7 Uncle Gweilo

Posted 10 February 2010 - 11:12 PM

Backpackers buying and then re-selling cars here in Australia is almost an industry in itself. Several companies even do all the paperwork and tend to the maintenance for you. (Mind you, a mob called Wicked Campers copped a caning for being negligent in having a huge percentage of its road fleet unroadworthy only very recently.) With the distances involved here it was almost inevitable something like that would crop up.

Interstate buses are a joy. I met a couple of English guys in Melbourne who had been in Sydney and a guy in the hostel they were staying in told them Perth was nice. So they went and bought two bus tickets. SIXTY-FIVE HOURS LATER they arrived in Perth. :unsure: You'da thunked they'd've looked at a map first! 4,000 Km will get you across most, if not all, of Europe from London. Buncha billy suggers!

Lucky Malaysia is small by those standards.

View Postyohan, on 10 February 2010 - 06:16 PM, said:

I don't know if the situation is still the same, but my experience about AVIS etc. rent-a-car is very bad.

Maybe you ran over a Chinaman who was carrying a black cat with that sort of bad luck, Yohan.

I'm not an employee of, nor an apologist for, Avis but the two times I rented from them- 2001 and 2003- I had no troubles. I've just booked a little Proton Wira from them for my trip there at the end of this month. [Knocks on wood! Posted Image ]

#8 Rayme

Posted 25 February 2010 - 07:58 AM

OK guys... juz wanna let everyone else know that we already got a car from this small car rental company in Subang...

They let us have a low mileage (1 yr old) proton iswara for RM1600 per month inclusive of the schedule car maintenance and monthly check up on the car which is quite convenient for us... This is much lower than what Avis and Hertz quoted us...

A friendly chap by the name of Mr. Hazdan helped us with our needs... Anyone else out there interested can call his number at {snip}.

Edited by Mandrunk, 03 April 2011 - 02:14 AM.

#9 Uncle Gweilo

Posted 14 March 2010 - 03:10 PM

View PostUncle Gweilo, on 10 February 2010 - 11:12 PM, said:

Maybe you ran over a Chinaman who was carrying a black cat with that sort of bad luck, Yohan.

I'm not an employee of, nor an apologist for, Avis but the two times I rented from them- 2001 and 2003- I had no troubles. I've just booked a little Proton Wira from them for my trip there at the end of this month. [Knocks on wood! Posted Image ]

I cursed myself posting this. The car Avis presented me with in KL was allegedly three years old. It had 110,000+ on the clock and looked like it had been treated like ©®@p for eachand every one of them. EVERY panel had a ding, scratch, paint chip or combination of the three. It only had half a tank of fuel. Like all Avis cars I've hired before it was a gutless wonder (governor on the accelerator pedal?) I nearly burnt my hand trying to open the bonnet halfway up from Tapah to Tanah Rata in the Camerons- under the vague assumption that all cars have a compliance plate that shows the date the car was produced. I swear that Proton Wira was the same vintage as the ones I hired in 2001 and 2003.

Was that jacked off with it I rang Avis and complained. They drove a replacement vehicle the 250 Km from KL. It only had 93,000 on the clock and looked only slightly better.

Nine days and four hours hire cost MYR 2,233.49. Divide that roughly by three for AUD, 2.4 for SGD, and so on, and you can see why I'm upset.

Tossing up whether to write a letter to Avis world head office- wherever the fudge THAT is- and let them know that things are not all rosy in SEA.

#10 paul97251829

Posted 24 March 2010 - 12:41 AM

Hi folks,

check this one : <snip>
i usually rent their cars over weekends, their price are not very cheap, like wira auto1.5 around 130 per day, but their cars never give u trouble, their people r nice, i call them whenever i need road assistance, the most important is, no hidden charges n deposit refund on the spot.

Edited by Mandrunk, 24 March 2010 - 12:44 AM.
Rules

#11 ajpkk

Posted 29 March 2010 - 08:34 AM

{snip} are cheap and cars are reliable. They are based Jalan Ampang and deliver anywhere KL area i understand they advertise in the paper every day. I have long term rental of them proton wira RM1500 month

Edited by Mandrunk, 03 April 2011 - 02:13 AM.
Read the rules.

#12 paul97251829

Posted 25 April 2010 - 03:20 PM

Hi there,

I rented a wira(A)1.5 monthly RM1600 (no hidden charges) from {snip}, try it, they r good to me.

Edited by Mandrunk, 03 April 2011 - 02:13 AM.
Read the rules.

#13 alvin enterprise

Posted 03 April 2011 - 02:09 AM

our company is a registered car rental company with SSM. we provide car rental viva RM1400/month (fuel consumption very2 low), Toyota Vios RM3300/mth and a lot more. call me for more infomation

u can contact me at {snip}

Edited by Mandrunk, 03 April 2011 - 02:10 AM.
Read the rules, idiot.

#14 กำนัน

Posted 03 April 2011 - 02:13 AM

This thread is nothing more than a spamfest, so it's closed.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 Orient Expat™
Contact us/Advertise