Asia Hotels

Living in Davao City - Advice needed

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Cooper

Posted 28 February 2010 - 09:40 PM

I am a female and my partner (Male) who is 62yrs in March is going over to Davao City for 5 wks on vacation to see if he likes the place in a view to buy somewhere over there for us to stay for 6 months of the year.  To be honest I am worried sick because I have heard horrendous stories about the Philippino girls in general and in particular this area.  I am an irish catholic and by all accounts the philippino's are a disgrace to the religion.

Is he likely to be a target because he is European?  What is this city like?

I am sorry if I sound paranoid but is this city rife with bar girls etc...........If he does weaken is he likely to come back with aids, or an std.......... apparently these girls are so filthy they could show the Thai's a lesson or two.  I've not heard a good word said about this race and the way they treat the dogs out there I can see why.  I still have nightmares reading an article of their cruelty in the Daily Telegraph.  Anyway that's another story...

Thank you in anticipation of anyone replying to my worries.

#2 METHOS

Posted 01 March 2010 - 02:17 AM

Quite objectionable.

#3 kamikaze

Posted 01 March 2010 - 03:14 AM

Obviously a troll.

#4 yohan

Posted 01 March 2010 - 02:02 PM

View PostCooper, on 28 February 2010 - 09:40 PM, said:

.....I am a female and my partner (Male) who is 62yrs in March is going over to Davao City for 5 wks on vacation

.....I am worried sick because I have heard horrendous stories about the Philippino girls in general ....

My question, why are you not going with him?

Philippine women do not interfere if a man has already a woman with him and is telling them, that he is married.

Are you married?

But if you are not married, and you are not going with him, of course why should other women not try to contact him? But this is everywhere the same, worldwide I would say.

In Davao, it is still relatively safe for a foreigner, I would be careful however going around to rural areas nearby.

Bargirls are not really a 'danger' - but Davao has already some influence by Muslim, Communist groups, and of course ordinary criminals...

The security of your partner should be more your concern than some bargirls, openly said.

Philippine law does not know anything about divorce - marriage is highly respected and considered as final.
Catholic Church influence is very strong.

#5 yohan

Posted 01 March 2010 - 05:46 PM

I am an irish catholic and by all accounts the philippino's are a disgrace to the religion.
May I ask why you think so?

There is no country in this world, where Catholicism is more supported than in the Philippines, and this since centuries.

Nowhere else you can find such a remarkable cultural inheritage of Roman Catholic proselytism in this world.

#6 karels

Posted 17 June 2010 - 11:22 AM

I am an irish catholic and by all accounts the philippino's are a disgrace to the religion.

i'm not sure what made you conclude that, but if you really made a deep research, you must know that philippino is spelled as Filipino (Pilipino)

#7 Tatoosh

Posted 29 June 2010 - 06:30 AM

View Postyohan, on 01 March 2010 - 05:46 PM, said:

May I ask why you think so?

There is no country in this world, where Catholicism is more supported than in the Philippines, and this since centuries.

Nowhere else you can find such a remarkable cultural inheritage of Roman Catholic proselytism in this world.

Yohan, you are missing her point, I think.  The Irish Catholic Church, much as the US Catholic Church, has a rich history of abusing minors. The Philippine Catholic Church doesn't, or at least, has not been exposed for doing so. They have mistresses or at least did. But they fall far behind their brethern internationally in terms of scandals involving minors and so forth.  So maybe that is why she complains about the Filipino Catholic community.

Well, to be honest, she (if it is a she) hits so many 'buttons' that the poster is obviously either a troll or she is the mental equivalent of a thalidomide baby.  Not that I mean that in a demeaning way, of course.  I don't believe in demeaning people as a viable counter-argument. I am sure there are many such that are quite nice and it is probably my bad to infer such disrespect to thalidomide victimsdd by even comparing the poster to them.  

Of course, she nor her husband can own property, other than a condo, in the Philippines.  And the bar girls are likely brighter than the OP. So if she is satisfied with her husband, that does not imply they will be.  And her inability to travel, apparently, may be the great attraction to her husband.  Of course, if he was a 'punter' he wouldn't be heading to Davao, but to Angeles City to stroll the boulevard there; hanging out in Manila's EDSA entertainment area; or swinging (no pun intended) through the bars on Mango Street in Cebu. Mindanao has a reputation for some very slick scammers but I haven't heard of it referred to as a fleshpot or city of easy morals particularly.

So, much of the time posting here is likely a waste of time, but that is true of many threads.  We are, after all, usually entertaining ourselves as much as others.

Take care and hope you aren't overworked in the next couple of months, Yohan.  I may not agree with you on many issues, but you do add a strong alternative viewpoint, eh?

Tatoosh

#8 yohan

Posted 29 June 2010 - 03:04 PM

View PostTatoosh, on 29 June 2010 - 06:30 AM, said:

..... The Irish Catholic Church, much as the US Catholic Church, has a rich history of abusing minors. The Philippine Catholic Church doesn't, or at least, has not been exposed for doing so.
So maybe that is why she complains about the Filipino Catholic community.
This is an interesting observation from you, but I am not sure, if you are wrong or right, maybe read this first, and this is NOT a new article, it is dated 2002 :

http://news.bbc.co.u...fic/2116154.stm

The Philippines is one of several Asian countries which have been wracked by sexual abuse scandals in the Catholic Church in the past few months.

The Philippines Catholic Church has apologised for sexual abuse by hundreds of its priests over the last 20 years.

To the various crises in society, we must now, with great sorrow and shame, add problems in the Church -  
Archbishop Orlando Quevedo  

The Catholic Bishops Conference of the Philippines said on Monday that it was now drafting guidelines on how to deal with such offences by its clergy.
When sexual scandals involving Catholic priests in the US came to light earlier this year, the Philippines media began reporting on abuses by local priests.

#9 Tatoosh

Posted 29 June 2010 - 10:50 PM

Hey, thanks for the link, Yohan.  I wasn't aware of those cases or the publicity they received.  I guess the lack of on-going cases or the reticence of the press in publishing has limited the amount of exposure the Philippines has.  Perhaps the original poster has a similar lack of awareness or she might not have disparaged the Philippine Catholic community.  

I would be a bit more than amazed to find that the Philippine Catholic hierarchy had effectively and quickly dealt with the problem.  It would something of a first here in terms of effective problem solving on church or government level, no?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 Orient Expat™
Contact us/Advertise