Asia Hotels

School Teachers Pay Scale in Singapore

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 shalaam

Posted 18 April 2010 - 09:07 PM

Can anyone advise me on the Pay Scales used to determine a teachers pay?

Do teachers get paid a lot more in International Schools than government schools?

Can anyone recommend some great schools to work at?

Thank you all.

#2 Uncle Gweilo

Posted 19 April 2010 - 08:12 PM

ESL teachers in government schools were on a salary of around SGD 3000 per month. This is due to the government setting this as the minimum that a "foreign expert" employee could be paid to come to Singapore to work. This is for those employed in government schools.

I've not worked in Singapore, but apparently you also work a heck of a lot more than just teaching your classes with attendant lesson preparation and marking. I've read stories on bulletin boards of teachers taking classes in which they have no qualifications, such as P.E., and having to show up at school sports events on the weekends unpaid to show good "face" in front of other schools.

WOO HOO! My 1,000th post!

Edited by Uncle Gweilo, 19 April 2010 - 08:12 PM.

#3 marclee

Posted 22 April 2010 - 11:22 AM

I'm not sure how much Teachers in ESL are paid, but a Graduate teacher with 5 years experience  in the Government Schools are paid about S$5000 to $7000 monthly  . They are also entitled to an Annual Variable + Performance Bonus which adds another   1 to 6 months to their annual package .

A Government Teacher with about 10 years experience should easily cross S$100,000 per annun.

Civil Servants in Singapore are paid aplenty .

#4 Uncle Gweilo

Posted 22 April 2010 - 11:21 PM

Most ESL teachers have a TESOL certificate. Many will have a bachelor's degree in one field or another, but invariably not a teaching degree. The industry in various countries is trying to crack down on people trying to fund backpacking holidays with a little work teaching English.

#5 atrecord

Posted 30 May 2010 - 04:40 PM

View Postmarclee, on 22 April 2010 - 11:22 AM, said:

I'm not sure how much Teachers in ESL are paid, but a Graduate teacher with 5 years experience  in the Government Schools are paid about S$5000 to $7000 monthly  . They are also entitled to an Annual Variable + Performance Bonus which adds another   1 to 6 months to their annual package .

A Government Teacher with about 10 years experience should easily cross S$100,000 per annun.

Civil Servants in Singapore are paid aplenty .

Wow, this is the first time I've heard that local govt sch teachers are paid so much. i must have been mad not to have joining teaching...

actually, for average graduates, the starting pay for teaching is prob around $2800. if there is no promotion after 5 yr, i'm very sure the pay is not going to be near $5000.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 Orient Expat™
Contact us/Advertise