Jump to content

Asia Hotels

Can You Still Go To Vietnam To Get Married Legally?

  • Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 AnhVinh

Posted 26 July 2010 - 12:38 AM

There has been rumors that vietnam is banning foreignors from marrying vietnamese woman in vietnam and I don't know if that's true. I'm planning to marry a vietnamese girl who I've met and talked to and I'm wondering if I would run into problems if I get married legally ?? I live in the united states and I am a Vietnamese U.s citizen. I'm 19 years old.

#2 yohan

Posted 26 July 2010 - 02:24 AM


There is such a talk about MYANMAR. See link above.

I never heard something like that about Vietnam. However there are some activities going on to restrict marriage brokers.

#3 Kimloannguyenself

Posted 26 July 2010 - 03:49 AM

Yes you can still get married in Vietnam legally only if you can provied all your legal documents stating that you are single or divorced ... and there isnt a big gap of age between you and your wife to be . although i wish they should ban vietnamese women marrying koreans like they did in cambodia :lol:

#4 TizMe

Posted 26 July 2010 - 07:54 AM

19 Years old!! Wanting to get married.. Are you Crazy?

#5 chingy_

Posted 26 July 2010 - 09:24 AM

hmmm 19 Years old!!!... :lol: , come over to Thailand for a few days, i'll take you to some of the hottest bar/parlor with some of the gorgeous ladies, body rub down, anything you want, after that we hop over to Vietnam and do the same. lets see if you still want to get marry.

#6 eagerbeagle

Posted 26 July 2010 - 09:55 AM

:lol:  Wish I was still 19... and living in either BKK or SGN.  :lol:

Don't tell me... that you got her pregnant  :lol:

#7 Kakkone

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:13 PM

It is very easy to get marriage with one viet girl,you must to spend just same money for documents and  stupid medical visit.(are you ready to show your c###?)...(or spend same hour on psichiatry division?)Dont worry but:
be carefully:you get marriage only if you have meet your girl friend working 5 o' clock in the morning in An Don market(or similar), stay away,very far from De Tham!
Sorry for my english language I never study it!

#8 hanno

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:04 PM

What the Vietnamese government has been trying to do, with varying success, is crack down on marriage tourism (especially from neighboring countries).

You can still get legally married; this can take you anywhere from 2 months to 2 years; this depends on the province you apply in, the person handling your case, and how much money you are willing to fork out.

Kakkone exaggerates: neither I nor my wife had to show any private parts, and the psychological evaluation took about 2 minutes (I think I was asked if I felt "normal" :whistling: )

Still a major hassle, though.

#9 Kimloannguyenself

Posted 29 July 2010 - 03:32 AM

Yeah the Doc asked me if i was normal or if anyone in family mentally ill :whistling: and that was all

#10 RacNamman

Posted 29 July 2010 - 03:46 AM

Don't forget Vietnamese girls get married for life not just for Christmas, take heed

#11 hanno

Posted 30 July 2010 - 07:35 AM


Don't forget Vietnamese girls get married for life not just for Christmas

My (Vietnamese) ex-wife might beg to differ :whistling:

#12 AnhVinh

Posted 30 July 2010 - 07:02 PM

Interesting, my cousin who got married in 2000 told me he didn't have to take any psychological exam, he told me he just went there and got married and then processed a visa for his wife. I wonder how much it would be for me to process a visa to bring my wife to the states after we get married. Anyone know how to process a visa please tell me how to and what I would need to do.

#13 Kakkone

Posted 30 July 2010 - 08:48 PM

There are same people here thinking one vietnamese lady cant to judge if his future husband is crazy or not?...eheheheh
..........2 minutes =just for to keep "QUICK" same money!
Not only must to show privare parts, but get analysis of blood(HIV)and urine too.
......HANNO(says)........and how much money you are willing to fork out.......eheheheh I AGREE 100%
Same people talk me:"I get permission of marriage with one vietnamese lady, like I buy one Argentina steak in
butcher's shop.
Everythingh in VN is one problem(bUU!) and the problem provide one cost.
ANHVINH:the biggest of the cost, I think, is for to get VISA for to go out from VN.
Keep one Roipnol tablet every day and little bit of Sanax for to stay self-collected  and try to spend for every thingh average 450USD!
Leave your vietnamese girl going around the  vietnamese offices alone:dont show your Dollar's face

#14 AnhVinh

Posted 31 July 2010 - 02:47 PM

ok, why are you being so rude ?? I'm not crazy because I can study and talk so I don't understand why are yuo attacking me ? I just need some help because I don't know what the requirements to marry someone from vietnam.

#15 Kakkone

Posted 01 August 2010 - 03:39 PM

Sorry....excuse me, I dont know english language and mybe you interpretate not well my wrong words.
I'm not rude:"I know very well the documents must to have for get marriage with a vietnamese girl(BELIEVE ME).
THe street for to have regular docoments isnt the same every time!
You can also have a VISA for your girl for to go in USA, so out of VN without marriage with a(PROMISE OF MARRIAGE ONLY with airline ticket round trip for her), but i think she can stay in USA maximum 3 mounths only, after you must married her, or she must back in VN very fast and sametimes you must pay  a fine.
I'm not rude with you, laws vietnameses are rude with us!!!!!!!Ahahahahahahahhahahahha!
I think:
Certificate you are american cityzen
Certificate you are not married
Certificate you are born??????
(autenticate traduction in Viet nam language for everythingh)
In VN you get:
certificate you are not crazy
certificate you have not HIV
analysis of blood
analysis urine
You try to go "SO TU PHAP" street Pasteur and mke list of documents you need.
Try to go see at " Comité populaire" very strong organization in VN.
Sorry for my english....I can to speack nearly perfect many other languages.

#16 AnhVinh

Posted 01 August 2010 - 09:27 PM

can I get all of the medical certificates and the analysis of blood and urine done in the USA by my family doctor and a USA Psychiatrist ? I have a family doctor but I might have to get my family doctor to refer me to a psychiatrist.

#17 hanno

Posted 02 August 2010 - 01:45 AM


can I get all of the medical certificates and the analysis of blood and urine done in the USA by my family doctor and a USA Psychiatrist

Not as far as I know. I had to go to a specific clinic in Ha Noi, even though I lived on the other side of the country at the time.

#18 Kakkone

Posted 02 August 2010 - 04:48 PM

Dear AnhVinh,
You dont want to believe me....ehehehehh
Your girl friend is living in H.C.M?You must to go in Da Lieu hospital.
Ahhhahahah....you go in VN with analysis made from World Health Organisation? Well..... these arent avalables!!!!!!!
You must to made every analysis in VN,actualy you must to spend the money in VN and is better for them if you will pay in USD...ehehehh!
Your nick name is vietnamese:"Why you dont know vietnamese rules?
Remember:" Get ten drops Xanax in the morning and one tablet of Seroquel before you have  to sleep!"
One my old friend, nearly 16 years ago, wanted to married one vn girl, him beginning to loose their hairs in the vietnamese hospitals, now him is lucky married but he is bald too!
Another one go in Europe with his vietnamese girl friend, with a promise of marriage, 3 mounths later the vietnamese psichiathric certificate was expired, so the vietnamese embassy in Europe give not nulla osta for get marriage in Europe.European man cant to back in VN, but receive a new psichiatric certificate from VN, for just 500 USD only!
Buena suerte amigo

#19 AnhVinh

Posted 02 August 2010 - 08:59 PM

kakone my friend, I grew up in the united states so I don't know a whole lot about the rules and laws in vietnam.

#20 Kakkone

Posted 03 August 2010 - 05:49 PM

Chao AnhVinh.
CONGRATULATION!You can understand my dirty and incorrect english language....eheheheh
Well you can try to see in internet(vietnamese rules for get marriage with one foreigner man)
If you are living near one consulate or vietnamese embassy in USA you can try ask same information
But it is sure:"In office (SO) Tu Phap street Pasteur in Saigon, you can bring the list of the documents you need for to have one marriage with one vietnamese girl.
It is sure you must to have one certificate you are single man(or divorced)
One certificate yoy are american cityzen
One certificare you are born (date and country)
I dont remember well...sorry.
Your documents are in english language, so you must to have traduction in vietnamese language.You can have notary traduction in USA, but get traduction in VN(Cong Chung even Pasteur near the cathedral in HCM center), that it is more sure.It is very easy for one american man to have every traduction. believe me.
But believe me also:" Be carefully, in VN there are very VERY nice and good wifes, but it is very difficult to meet good wifes in turistic zone like Pham Ngu Lao or similar.
So.....before get, my dear young man, one marrige think about that MORE then 1000 times.
PS Sorry one time more for my english!

#21 bluegill_fisher

Posted 25 August 2010 - 12:28 AM

There should be a list of needed documents available on the website of your local VN embassy or consulate, start there.

Once you're married, the wait for a spouse visa can be long. In my case, it took over a year in 2003-2004. Then, you get to do all the same paperwork again to get her a green card :P

Funny story: when my wife and I got married, I was living in Japan and she was a business owner in SGN. We got engaged in SGN and she later came to Japan and we got married there. Not knowing any better, we just went to my local city hall, got the necessary forms, filled them in and had them witnessed and stamped by a couple Japanese friends of mine and got our Japanese certificate of marriage. Went to the US embassy and had them notarize it, then went to the VN embassy for them to do the same. They were a bit taken aback and weren't sure of what to do; it was clearly the first time they had encountered a case like ours. There was some "Are you sure you can just do that?" and they were quite surprised at how easy it was to get married in Japan, to which we basically responded "Yes, you can, and yes, we did; see, the US embassy has even already accepted and notarized it." In the end, they gave in and notarized it too, not knowing what else to do and having a stack of valid US and Japanese paperwork in front of them.

It was obvious that they later checked with Hanoi, since a few weeks after our encounter, their web site had a new list of onerous rules like the ones they had on their embassy web site in the US. Through a combination of chutzpah and ignorance we seriously short-cutted the process, but they sure slammed the barn door behind our particular horse :-) Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if to this day they have yet to encounter another VNese-foreign spouse marriage there in which the foreign spouse is not Japanese :-)

#22 drekkersigmoid

Posted 19 December 2010 - 06:59 AM

I am an asian man with children and I wish to marry Vietnamese woman with a child (we are divorced/widowed). She is my long standing friend and we love each other. What are the legal formalities to get married with a woman with children.

#23 hammocktime

Posted 29 December 2010 - 07:13 AM

I married a Vietnamese woman in 2009 in Can Tho. A list of the required docs can be found on the American Embassy website in Hanoi (assuming you are American). Included in the docs is a cetficate from your Secretary of State confirming that you are not currently married. This must bear the Official Stamp of the Sec. of State. All documents must be translated and approved by the Vietnamese Embassy in DC or the Consulate in San Francisco. I hired a documents assistant firm in California to do all the paperwork for me. They charged $450. I could not have done it without them. When you get to Vietnam, if your docs are not correct, with all the official stamps, you will have to start over. Once in Vietnam, we had to have all our documents approved by many, many Govt. offices, local, district, etc. My wife had to present her "family book." It is best, maybe even mandatory, to do everything in your wife's home province. The "medical and phychological" exams were done at a local hospial and consisted of our answering a few questions abour our health history. They asked if anyone in our family was crazy and that was that. No blood tests, no showing our private parts. After all this, we were given an appointment for a final interview at the Justice Department. Be sure to bring a government approved translator. This was required even though my wife speaks English. If you are approved after all this, there is a four to six week waiting period before you get your marriage certificate. The entire ordeal was a nightmare and I almost gave up few times. You can have a Traditional wedding by just inviting you wife's family to a party and giving them money, but it won't be legal and may not satisfy your wife, or her family. If you plan on bringing your wife back to the States, it is much easier to apply for a fiance visa (see American Embassy website in Hanoi) and get married in the States instead. BTW: there is a 24 year difference in our ages. This came up during our interview but it was okay and not unusual. The whole process, once in Vietnam, took about three months. There has been a crackdown on "marriage brokers" who set up sham marriages, usually with men from Korea or Taiwan, who marry women they have never met and take them home to be house slaves, or worse. I knew my wife for a year and had travelled around Vietnam with her before we were married. I also knew her family well. Good f'in luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 Orient Expat™
Contact us/Advertise