Asia Hotels

Some of the best places to live in Thailand

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 cobie

Posted 10 September 2010 - 03:07 PM

Hi everyone,

Aside from Thailand Capital City, which are some good or best places in Thailand for
foreigners to retire...  perhaps places that have  functional hospitals, police departments
and the like? Your information is much appreciated. Thank you!

#2 britmaveric

Posted 10 September 2010 - 03:12 PM

Not sure you can find a normal functioning police dept in thailand!

Well I'd say Pattaya, Chiang Mai or Phuket.  Obviously Pattaya has pretty much everything you could ask for and it's only a few hrs from Bangkok.

#3 Stocky

Posted 10 September 2010 - 03:39 PM

Depends what you're looking for. Sure Pattaya, Chiang Mai or Phuket are the main magnets for foreigners but I'm not sure I'd want to live in any of them.

Hat Yai's fine, it's big but not too big, nicely cosmopolitan, we've 3 private hospitals, I'm not far from the beach, I can get most of what we need, and there's a border with 45 minutes by road if the s### hit the fan.

It doesn't boast too many whiteys, but that's the way I like it.

But if you want a farang ghetto head for Phuket or Pattaya.

#4 britmaveric

Posted 10 September 2010 - 03:40 PM

Stocky is correct - sort of need to figure out what you want.... busy or very quiet locale?

Maybe try diff places and then compare? (month here, month there and so on until you settle on a place you like)

#5 Stocky

Posted 10 September 2010 - 03:42 PM

Cost of living varies too! That's another issue that may or may not concern you, if you go to the major concentrations of foreigners, expect to pay more.

#6 cobie

Posted 11 September 2010 - 01:19 AM

:rolleyes: Greetings everyone!
Can anybody please elaborate on the statement that Pattaya, Chiang Mai or Phuket are the main magnets for foreigners?
What does make any of these cities favorite for foreigners... is it because of their size, their proximity to the beach areas and to Bangkok?
Is it because in these cities foreigners can find basically anything they need in terms of restaurants/foods, lodging, medical facilities, less polution and the like?

;) Hi friend,

According to your brief description of Hat Yai, it appears to be your favorite place to stay in Thailand. Can you please indicate how far more or less is Hat Yai located from the beach areas and from Bangkok? Are there Shopping Malls there? Thanks for your valued information on Hat Yai.

#7 Captain Chaos

Posted 11 September 2010 - 01:44 AM

I suggest Hua Hin - a 'half way house' between the big city of BKK and the touristy resorts like Pattaya or Phuket.

Up sides: 2-3 hours drive to BKK. Supermarkets, shops and hospitals all there. Less full on than somewhere like Pattaya, but has a beach (obviously) unlike BKK

Downsides: I've heard that Immigration there not the friendliest (but hey, TIT so Immigration anywhere can be a bit hard work), slightly "old fart-ish" at times.

For me Phuket is too pricey, Pattaya too dirty (the environment I mean!), and Samui too 'wild west'. Lots of people do retire Upcountry but personally its not for me. Hence I'd go for either Hua Hin or the outskirts of BKK.

CC

#8 Stocky

Posted 11 September 2010 - 02:28 AM

Hua Hin was a possibility when we were thinking where to live but the airport is crap and I didn't fancy having to drive up to Bangkok to get to work. If I was retired yes, I like Hua Hin and it fits the wife's requirements of being within the ambit of the family.

Re Hat Yai, it's an 1hr 20min flight from Bangkok, 1000km or 12hrs by road and about the same by rail. It takes 40min to drive to Songkhla our nearest beach, we have, at the last count, 3 shopping malls, 2 department stores, plus a Tesco, Big C, Carrefour and Makro.

Phuket and Pattaya are major beach holiday centres and they've grown generating large expat communities, a mix of those who've retired and those catering for foreign tourists. Chiang Mai is up in the north among the mountains, and has developed as a tourist centre for treking holidays and culture, it's cooler, but air pollution is a problem some times if the year.

But as Brit says you need to spend time visiting likely candidates, and by time, that's more than a couple of days.

#9 chingy_

Posted 11 September 2010 - 04:31 AM

Stay in Bangkok for  few year and decide later.

#10 กำนัน

Posted 12 September 2010 - 01:38 PM

I'll comment on the far north... I really enjoy my life in Chiang Rai, even further north than Chiang Mai... but the big disadvantage is that it's about as far from the beach as you can get. Also, as Stocky mentioned, we suffer terrible smoke pollution for a couple of months every year, sometimes so bad that it burns your eyes. Additionally, even sleepy Chiang Rai is changing rapidly. For example, construction of the Central World has begun opposite the BigC and that'll really change the place. There's quite a few white faced expats peppering the province... but of course, there is a reason they're attracted here... it's lovely.

A strong plus is that we have our own airport.

#11 ronnie

Posted 12 September 2010 - 02:36 PM

View Postchingy_, on 11 September 2010 - 04:31 AM, said:

Stay in Bangkok for  few year and decide later.

That's the best advice. Also - don't run over here and buy a place. The smart money rents for a year or two, then when you are really sure where you want to retire ---- you still rent. Can't be bothered here to explain, but it's far cheaper, safer and more common sense to do that than buy a place. Also - recall what was said earlier about s### hitting the fan and being close to a border (the old saying in Thailand is 'never invest more here than you are prepared to walk away from (at short notice)'. And that is more in effect now than ever. Good luck (and next time do some research on your own..) :rolleyes:

#12 Bobr

Posted 13 September 2010 - 01:51 PM

I like Sattahip/Ban Chang.  Nice beaches, close to Pattaya and reasonably close to Bangkok and the prices here are much lower than in the resort areas.  I like being near Pattaya for the food and occasionally for the nightlife, but I would never live in such a filthy crowded place.  My rent for a 3Bed 2 bath house with a large fenced yard and new air conditioning in the bedroom I use is 5000 a month.  You cannot beat that. I am a 5 minute drive from Utapao Airport.

#13 RacNamman

Posted 13 September 2010 - 02:45 PM

Koh Chang for me if you like the beach, countryside near to a city Ayutthaya, but not Lopburi the monkeys absolutely stink

#14 cobie

Posted 14 September 2010 - 12:20 AM

;)   :rolleyes:

Hi ronnie,

Can you or anyone else please elaborate on this thought: "(the old saying in Thailand is 'never invest more here than you are prepared to walk away from (at short notice)'. And that is more in effect now than ever."  Thanksfor sharing!

#15 Stocky

Posted 14 September 2010 - 01:58 AM

What a brainless question. Haven't you got enough info for your school project yet?

#16 กำนัน

Posted 14 September 2010 - 02:26 AM

View Postcobie, on 14 September 2010 - 12:20 AM, said:

Can you or anyone else please elaborate on this thought: "(the old saying in Thailand is 'never invest more here than you are prepared to walk away from
Mummy, Daddy... why is the sky blue?

Time wasting troll.

#17 navynine

Posted 15 September 2010 - 10:09 PM

Chanthaburi

#18 cobie

Posted 16 September 2010 - 02:13 AM

Hi Bobr,

The place you live in Thailand must be quite ideal considering the fact that it is not too far from the beaches and Bangkok. You said that your rent for a 3Bed 2 bath house with a large fenced yard and new air conditioning in the bedroom ---is 5000 a month. Doesn't this amount translate into less than $200.00 USD a month? If this is the case, then the rent here in The Philppines is about 2 1/2 times more. Have a great one!

#19 kamikaze

Posted 16 September 2010 - 02:27 AM

Cobie, everything depends on what you want out of life. If you and your wife are beach people there are great beaches. Then you have to decide if you want to be near modern conveniences and tourists or not. Hua Hin is OK and not far from Bangkok. Phuket is good for boating, diving, snorkeling, etc. If you like driving in the mountains, temples, culture and pleasant scenery, try the north - Chiangmai if you want to be near civilization (and tourists), Chiang Rai if you want peace and quiet. People are very friendly in the north.

If you want stuff like exhibitions, cinema multiplexes, shopping for designer clothes, classical music, clubbing, etc, Bangkok is where it's at.

Wherever there are lots of foreigners there will be condos to rent. In a place like Chiang Rai it would be more difficult.

#20 phomsanuk

Posted 20 September 2010 - 06:12 AM

Jomtien, close enough to top medical, shopping, restaurants etc without the circus sin city hupla of Pattaya proper.

#21 britmaveric

Posted 20 September 2010 - 10:26 AM

^too many lady boys in Jomtien. :wub:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 Orient Expat™
Contact us/Advertise