Asia Hotels

What to wear in Singapore?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Trudi

Posted 16 October 2010 - 07:42 AM

Hello. We are coming through Singapore in December on our way to New Zealand. We'll spend three days break to see Singapore but I'm a bit unsure what to pack. What do people living in Singapore wear? Does it get chilly in the winter evenings? Do people dress formally for informal places? Are there any laws about dress codes. I'm told Singapore has some very strict laws. Any advice and experience would be a help just so we know. Thnx.

#2 Uncle Gweilo

Posted 16 October 2010 - 08:03 AM

Winter in Singapore? The country is two degrees north of the Equator. Apart from Monsoon and non-Monsoon, the weather in Singers is pretty much constant all year. Days are 32 to 35 degrees and nights 23 to 25. Year-round humidity is of the order of 83 percent. In the

Singapore is pretty lenient for dress standards in most instances. If you're going somewhere decent, dress appropriately. Shorts on middle-aged men look a little incongruous, but wont attract too much attention. Ladies should exercise some sort of modesty- don't go around flashing your baps in public. It is against the law to walk naked around your own home!

Most buildings, especially restaurants and the malls, are air-conditioned. This can be a bit chilly, so take a light but warm jacket or cardigan.

New Zealand will be a lot more variable, especially if you're travelling the length of the country. Not as hot and humid as Singers, but it could get quite coolish in the far south.

The following link backs up what I've just spent the last couple of minutes typing...

http://www.asiarooms...re-climate.html

Singapore Climate

Located in the southern end of the Malaysian peninsula about 2 degrees north of the Equator, Singapore comprises a primary island surrounded by 63 small islets. The beautiful country with undulating landscape and low hills, Singapore is a tourist’s paradise. The skyscrapers, the shopping malls, the important seaport, picturesque landscape, exceptional museums and many amusement parks make Singapore a land with many beauties. Singapore Climate

With respect to its location, Singapore experiences tropical climate making it hot and humid all through the year. The average minimum temperature of Singapore is about 23 degrees Celsius whereas its average maximum temperature is about 31 degrees Celsius. Humidity in the climate of Singapore usually ranges between 70 to 80 percent. It is an ideal holiday location for those fond of sunbathing.

Monsoon in Singapore begins in November and mostly carries on till end of January. The rains make the temperature drop making it cooler than the usual climate. Rains in Singapore are intermittent and the showers are usually very heavy. The ideal time for tourists to visit Singapore is in the months of June to August. The climate of Singapore around this time of the year is exceptionally pleasant.

#3 Stocky

Posted 16 October 2010 - 08:16 AM

I can confirm, that as a middle-aged man in shorts I attract little attention and no approbation when I visit Singapore.

Going out of an evening I'll wear long trousers, a casual shirt and a pair of socks & shoes, but that's as far as it goes; you can leave the tux and ball-gowns behind.

#4 britmaveric

Posted 16 October 2010 - 11:13 AM

^shorts are good everywhere day/evening... however if going to proper establishments in the evening such as trendy bars/disocs/restaurants than I'd stick the trousers on. ;)

#5 TizMe

Posted 16 October 2010 - 02:10 PM

I think we had winter today, it was only 31 degrees when I checked this afternoon.

#6 Uncle Gweilo

Posted 17 October 2010 - 09:12 AM

What with living in South East Queensland then spending a few days in the heat and humidity of Singers then KL, waking up to 16 or 17 degrees in the Cameron Highlands was a real shock to the system.

#7 Andiamo

Posted 17 October 2010 - 02:12 PM

I lived there for four years and never once wore a jumper or a jacket except inside in the aircon.

I would recommend bringing: umbrella, shades, sun cream, shorts, short sleeve shirts, jumper for the aircon, cap or hat, swimming costume, mosquito repellent (not a big problem in Singers but they do exist) and plenty of clothes washing gel (you may need 5 showers a day and to wash your clothes often).

Note December is the rainiest month so be prepared for torrential downpours.

#8 Trudi

Posted 17 October 2010 - 09:00 PM

Thnx all who commented, it's good help thnx. What about beachwear? I read somewhere, can't remember where but that you have to be conservative on the beach. No thongs or anything too revealing?

#9 BlahBlahBlah

Posted 17 October 2010 - 09:25 PM

Honestly, apart from Russians who would ever wear a thong to the beach?

#10 breun99

Posted 18 October 2010 - 06:15 AM

View PostTrudi, on 17 October 2010 - 09:00 PM, said:

Thnx all who commented, it's good help thnx. What about beachwear? I read somewhere, can't remember where but that you have to be conservative on the beach. No thongs or anything too revealing?

Yeah they have very strict laws. Don't jaywalk or litter, you will get a HUUGGEEEEE fine or go to jail. Even if you have a piece of rubbish stuck under your shoe, remove it with your hands and throw it into a bin. If it falls out from under your shoe, you could be poppped for littering.

And no swimming trunks on the beach. Please this is Singapore. Wear a dark coloured t-shirt and shorts with your trunks hidden inside. If you want to be safe, wear long pants please.

This is very important. Always always always remember to flush your toilet after use!

And I hope you do not have long hair, dyed hair, tattoos or piercings as well. It will get you a lot of stares. If you accidentally bump into someone on the street, be polite, bow to him, make sure it is a 90 degrees bow and say "I am a bodoh. Sorry.".

Edited by breun99, 18 October 2010 - 06:16 AM.

#11 Andiamo

Posted 18 October 2010 - 03:34 PM

Yes,yes and don't even utter the words "chewing gum" else you'll be fined, jailed, savagely beaten, hung drawn and quartered, tarred and feathered and your entire extended family for the next six generations will be banned from ever coming near the country again ...

But back to reality for a moment. The only decent swimming beaches are on Sentosa (I recommend Tanjong beach). I think you can wear what you like but I wouldn't recommend going topless are straying too far from the beach in a bikini. (I did it once or twice and eyebrows were raised :-))

#12 Uncle Gweilo

Posted 18 October 2010 - 11:12 PM

And don't pee in elevators. They have urine detectors that automatically shut the lift car down and call the police. You'll be arrested, charged, fined and then named and shamed in the Straits Times.

Attached File  1066955_DSCF0012.jpg   129.81K   

Attached File  singapore_fine_city_tshirt.jpg   91.26K   

#13 A.Kowell

Posted 19 October 2010 - 01:51 AM

Tee-Shirts and Jeans is the best  ;)

Bikinis for the beach is good  ;)

Edited by A.Kowell, 19 October 2010 - 01:54 AM.

#14 Uncle Gweilo

Posted 19 October 2010 - 11:42 AM

You could almost set your watch by the monsoonal downpour back in the early 70's when I lived in Singers. Being a kid things like heat and stifling humidity weren't a problem. We even used to chase the mozzie man who'd come and spray our drains with that chemical fog that smelled like kerosene. Hang on, that stuff does weird things to your brain. I think I have an explanation for...   ;)

#15 RacNamman

Posted 19 October 2010 - 12:22 PM

View PostAndiamo, on 18 October 2010 - 03:34 PM, said:

I wouldn't recommend going topless are straying too far from the beach in a bikini. (I did it once or twice and eyebrows were raised :-))
Really ???? I'll bet they were !!
;)

#16 chingy_

Posted 19 October 2010 - 07:16 PM

Hello. We are coming through Singapore in December on our way to New  Zealand. We'll spend three days break to see Singapore but I'm a bit  unsure what to pack. What do people living in Singapore wear? Does it  get chilly in the winter evenings? Do people dress formally for informal  places? Are there any laws about dress codes. I'm told Singapore has  some very strict laws. Any advice and experience would be a help just so  we know. Thnx.
don't bother bringing anything heavy, stick with light clothing, polo, khakis and khakis short and a light jacket for mill breeze, but most of the time is hotty and sweatty.

#17 Uncle Gweilo

Posted 19 October 2010 - 09:43 PM

Dress in a couple of thin layers. That'll do you for NZ, too. If it gets gold there, buy a genuine merino (from Australia!) wool jumper/pullover/sweater/whatever they're called in Ireland.

And a possum fur hat. Some enterprising fellow introduced a couple of Australian possums to NZ in the late 19th Century. They went feral and started wiping out stacks of their unique wildlife. We now have a situation where the possum is a pest to be exterminated when and where in NZ, but is a protected species back at home.

#18 illa

Posted 19 November 2010 - 05:32 AM

fyi.. monsoon season just means it rains everyday.. usually for like 30 minutes then you are good to tomorrow

#19 Uncle Gweilo

Posted 19 November 2010 - 10:57 PM

And rain means RAIN! The monsoon drains between Bukit Timah and Dunnearn Roads are three or more lanes of traffic wide and a good 20 feet deep. I remember seeing them almost full with storm water run-off.

Ditto the drains on Penang and Orchard Roads. The rats used to have their homes get a good old clean out during the monsoon.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 Orient Expat™
Contact us/Advertise