Orient Expat Friends

Cebu vs Davao - Best place to live?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Joss

Posted 19 October 2010 - 04:22 AM

Hi !

I live in Thailand for nearly 5 years, and I think about moving, maybe to the Phils.
I only know Cebu as a tourist, and some beautiful islands around.

But what about the daily life there ?  

Thailand is a great country, where we can live as well as in Europe but with the hot sea, the smiling sun, and fewer constraints. But politic is a real problem, and now economy too, and the baht (thai currency) rises especially vs € and $. In one year, my income (in euro) is nearly 20% lower.

Which city do you prefer ? Cebu or Davao ?

Thx,
Joss

#2 cobie

Posted 24 October 2010 - 01:51 AM

Hi Joss,

It all depends how you look at things and what are your priorities. Having said that, I moved from the USA to Cebu, Philippines where I retire with my Filipino wife.  According to what I have read so far, Cebu is one of the safest places to live in the Philippines (this is no infomercial, and No, I do not work for Tourismc Offices of the Philipines). Second, as fas as rates of exchange are concerned, you would save more in the Philippines because the Euro and the US dollar have more value here than in Thailand. Third, In terms of safety and security, I would choose Cebu over Davao in a heartbeat.  Good luck!

#3 Oomix

Posted 30 November 2010 - 01:03 PM

Cobie, don't know where you got your info but Cebu us definetely not one of the safest places. Most smaller and non-urban areas are far safer. There is a lot of petty crime as well as violent crimes here. It's also not the safest big city.

As for Davao, it's in a totally different league and is unique in the Phils. Much cleaner, better infra, lowest crime rate in the country, significantly more law enforcement so people behave better, traffic is more disciplined, etc. And it is the safest city in the country.

Cebu is generally dirty, becoming more like Manila, poorer air quality, poor infrastructure, mediocre to poor quality beaches, limited access to nature, very poor road discipline/knowledge.

#4 tambok

Posted 06 December 2010 - 04:17 AM

Davao is nice, but the people there are unusual. They appear very shy and introvert. There seem to be more men than women and the men look kind of sullen. The women look shy and conservative.  A guy who went there hoping to date young ladies described it as a sausage fest.

Not easy to make friends initially but also, once you make them, they are much more genuine; there are fewer crooks, the people do not ingratiate themselves with you and you are expected to take steps to integrate. There is no colonial mentality, no US worship, and it is a very Filipino city. This was one place in the Philippines where a total stranger took me to dinner and paid for the meal.

Taxi drivers are more honest, too.

In Davao generally, a foreigner is treated as an equal and is expected to act local. This goes for the rest of Mindanao and that is why sometimes I prefer Mindanao in general to the rest of the country because I like the Filipino culture and I do not enjoy parts of the Philippines where people mimic the West dress like hip hop ghetto gangsters or wear T shirts with US flags.

Edited by tambok, 06 December 2010 - 04:18 AM.

#5 umairaraza100

Posted 04 July 2011 - 09:22 AM

well i have also living in Cebu from the 3 years  and really it is the place which is the heart of thailand because you can enjoy there easily there are plenty of places available for the relaxation i enjoy there so much .

#6 fredolin

Posted 12 September 2011 - 10:24 AM

there is only one reason why a male would go to the phils, no other, not a single one.

dirty,polluted,dangerous,scams everywhere, food disgusting and unhealthy- that is why there are almost no tourists coming.

i know both places very well. cebu is like manila, in fact manila is much cleaner and nicer in some specific areas. there is also more choice in manila. manila is probably the worst city in asia.

davao is polluted. it is at least safe and it has got all of the basic services anyone needs. whatever i can buy in cebu i can get in davao also. makati offers more choice but it is even more polluted and much more expensive.

i live in davao and i will move to siam next year. i will only miss the easily accessible girls here. this is unique. only brazil is better. in siam it is not that easy besides prostitutes of course.

#7 กำนัน

Posted 12 September 2011 - 08:15 PM

View Postfredolin, on 12 September 2011 - 10:24 AM, said:

siam
I suppose you refer to Australia as New Holland.

#8 (Member banned)

Posted 13 September 2011 - 12:50 AM

View Postumairaraza100, on 04 July 2011 - 09:22 AM, said:

well i have also living in Cebu from the 3 years  and really it is the place which is the heart of thailand because you can enjoy there easily there are plenty of places available for the relaxation i enjoy there so much .

I was always thinking Cebu is located in the Philippines....

fredolin: only brazil is better. in siam it is not that easy besides prostitutes of course.

Sounds great. Is there a direct bus-connection from Siam to Brazil?

#9 fredolin

Posted 13 September 2011 - 06:52 AM

View Postyohan, on 13 September 2011 - 12:50 AM, said:

Sounds great. Is there a direct bus-connection from Siam to Brazil?

brazil is just unbelieveable. a thousand words cannot describe it. you sit at the beach or outside of a coffee sho) and cute young girls are all over you kissing and cuddling you..it does not get any better. even siam is boring compared to brazil. but siam is still very cheap and brazil has become expensive.
fun factor:
1.brazil
2.phils
3.siam

to return to the first post: why would anyone move to the phils from siam? i do not understand that. the phils are much more expensive than siam ( i live in the phils and last time i was in siam was 3 weeks ago) also the xpatulator confirms my own experience. siam is clean, the infrastructure is good and food is excellent. in the phils everything is exactly the opposite. i have never seen worse food than here-bad and unhealthy. why would anyone want to move from the cheapest value country in the world(probably) where everything works move to a dirthole country that does not get ANYTHING right. everything is broken, delapitated, even in the expensive restaurants everything is dirty, on the streets it smells like urine and fecals(everywhere)if it is not overwhelmed by cancer inducing diesel fumes.. just thoughts- everyone should do whatever he wants in my opinion...

there is an (air)BUS connection from siam to rio, though it is not direct...

#10 กำนัน

Posted 13 September 2011 - 07:51 AM

You should be made aware that Siam changed it's name to 'Thailand' in 1939, so you might get some funny looks at the airport if you try to check in for a flight to Siam (unless it's a trans-temporal flight). You make yourself sound like a bit of a plonker, frankly speaking... While you were over in Brazil, did you sample the maidens of New Granada by any chance?

View Postfredolin, on 12 September 2011 - 10:24 AM, said:

i know both places very well.
I doubt that, you can't even get the name right... You will also be surprised to find that much of Thailand is also a stinking hole with poor infrastructure, many things poorly maintained or just broken and run down. Thailand has good roads though... but if you want the fabled 'value for money', you'll be living like a peasant in a distant village, or a suburban s#!thole in Bangkok. It sounds like the extent of your visit to Thailand was a few hours in Suvarnabhumi for a transit, or a mid-range hotel somewhere overdeveloped, like Phuket, or Pattaya... yeah, I bet it was Pattaya.

#11 (Member banned)

Posted 13 September 2011 - 08:56 AM

View Postfredolin, on 13 September 2011 - 06:52 AM, said:

..... to return to the first post: why would anyone move to the phils from siam?

..... i do not understand that. the phils are much more expensive than siam ( i live in the phils and last time i was in siam was 3 weeks ago)

Why are YOU living in the Philippines? Why are you not moving over to Siam Thailand? Or to anywhere else, or back to your own country?

----------

There are reasons, why foreigners prefer Philippines to Thailand - for example visa-related issues or if you are with a Philippine family.

About pricing, it is true that Philippines is poorer and expenses are sometimes (surely not for all and everything) higher than in Thailand.

In Philippines transport means shipping between islands and this costs money.

To travel around in Philippines requires sometimes airplane, and this costs money too.
Many nice hotels of the upper category are under foreign administration and the visitor has to pay for that.

The life on islands generally is NOT cheap.  In Philippines, there are frequently problems about drinking water, production of electricity etc.

Land is limited, owned by some few rich family clans and to own your tiny piece of land costs money.

For foreigners many articles are imported, and you have to consider security issues.

And there are always some taxes you have to pay and entrance fees for something which is expected to be free of charge.

Medical fees, due to lack of cheap health insurances are a big problem for local people.
Overpopulation also is a problem in the cities.

-----

It's not an easy life there.
What can be done about it?

#12 fredolin

Posted 13 September 2011 - 02:23 PM

you are spot on.
but that does not make life here any easier. and it does not change the fact that the phils suck.

what you have here are mostly low lifes msotly from the usa, low income pensioners, 90% alcoholics who came here for the girls and got stuck because they have no money to go anywhere else. anyone else who can afford a flight is either about to leave or has already left to siam or to malaysia.

give me any reason why anyone should come here except for easy access to girls. for that noone needs to live here experiencing utmost hardship.

here is another opinion phils vs siam:
http://www.hobotrave...es-culture.html

or go to the thaivisaforums and look for the discussion phils vs siam

all the same

#13 (Member banned)

Posted 14 September 2011 - 03:07 AM

View Postfredolin, on 13 September 2011 - 02:23 PM, said:

what you have here are mostly low lifes mostly from the usa, low income pensioners, 90% alcoholics who came here for the girls and got stuck because they have no money to go anywhere else. anyone else who can afford a flight is either about to leave or has already left to siam or to malaysia.

give me any reason why anyone should come here except for easy access to girls. for that noone needs to live here experiencing utmost hardship.

I really wonder, why YOU are living there.

In my case I am visiting Philippines/Cebu frequently (but I am NOT living there) because I take care of my fostergirl in Cebu since many years, and also help some other children/sick/blind people with buying medicine and sending used materials from Japan.

Philippines - for vacation and not for living there permanently - is a nice place for swimming and diving - however it is true that good resort-hotels are not cheap at all, but private guarded beaches are safe. I do not recommend to go to any deserted beach in Philippines. Nothing there and security is a problem.

This is easier in Thailand, there is more accomodation available and there are many more foreigners there of course.

-----

I  stay in Cebu City/pension-house, not Mactan/not upper category beach area, and it's not expensive. About same pricing as in Pattaya. No problems at all.

About Philippines - food/restaurant - I cannot complain either in Cebu City. It took me however a while to understand what and where to eat.

For sure Philippines is not a place I recommend to an unexperienced traveller for the first trip to Asia.

#14 กำนัน

Posted 14 September 2011 - 07:50 AM

View Postfredolin, on 13 September 2011 - 02:23 PM, said:

or go to the thaivisaforums
Surely you mean the siamvisaforums?

#15 cechipp

Posted 17 September 2011 - 01:13 AM

I have lived in Bangkok and now live in the Philippines. I wouldn't trade Manila for Bangkok, sure there a number of major differences. The one that stands out is the people, I will trust a Filipino hands down over a Thai and experience has shown it to be true. I am not some newby to the region, nor am I a sex tourist jumping from whorehouse to whorehouse. I have been coming to SEA since 1986 and know what I like and who I like. The Philippines is for me and it doesnt mean its for everyone.

#16 phomsanuk

Posted 17 September 2011 - 10:01 AM

When the headman passes away here in Siam I'm moving someplace, Cebu? Subic?

#17 stumpy

Posted 17 September 2011 - 04:25 PM

Nah give Laos a go  :doh:

#18 fredolin

Posted 22 November 2011 - 01:17 AM

laos is nice. good food, peaceful and quite friendly. the situation with the girls not so. you can easily get arrested in laos when you are a foreigner (yes, they are also racist) who gets caught with a holy laos girl. there is a rason why foreigners who live in laos fly to bkk or to the phils for the weekend.

cambodia is a real alternative.
cambodia is still a little bit rough but it is developping fast and social contact with any gender are not a problem at all. cambodia is also very cheap because it is still dollarized.

for those who are not interested in any sexual activities any more malaysia is the best alternative. it is very well developped and it is very cheap, about the same level as siam,  cheaper than the phils by about 20% on average

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 Orient Expat™
Contact us/Advertise