Orient Expat Friends

Leaving Thailand with no exit stamp?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 mikewm

Posted 20 February 2011 - 08:44 PM

Let's suppose you were to leave Thailand from other than a land border crossing or an international airport. For example, maybe you are leaving with a private boat or aircraft. How would one go about getting a passport exit stamp? Just curious as most countries only screen arriving passengers and I don't think the Thai government can really control people leaving.

A second question is what would happen if you were to arrive in Thailand and their computer system has no record of you exiting on your prior visit? Is this a problem, as I know they want their 500 baht a day overstay but one could just get a new passport with no entry stamp if your exits aren't recorded?

#2 กำนัน

Posted 20 February 2011 - 09:10 PM

Don't leave Thailand without getting an exit stamp, seriously, it could potentially set you up for a world of s#!t if you ever need to return. Firstly, if you subsequently apply for a visa at any Thai overseas mission, they will deny your application on the grounds you have no exit stamp from your last visit to Thailand (I think this is in part due to people attempting to use illegal visa run services and sending their passport to another country while they remained in Thailand).

If you fly into Thailand after not getting properly stamped out, you could face hours of 'clearing up' at best, or a spell in immigration detention followed by a big fine and deportation at worst. It's just not worth the hassle for the simple act of keeping yourself legal in accordance with Thai immigration rules.

You are correct, Thailand cannot stop people from leaving... but they certainly can penalise you for not following their rules, or trying to game the system.

You have to be processed by immigration to keep your status in order. If you are leaving via a remote unmanned crossing, you need to visit the nearest immigration checkpoint to get stamped out, or to ask their advice. If you really have made some kind of mistake and left without your stamp, you should visit any Thai embassy to clear up the problem BEFORE attempting to return to Thailand.

To summarise, it's a really bad idea.

#3 Stocky

Posted 21 February 2011 - 01:02 AM

Surely if you're leaving from a marina or private aerodrome there must be options in place to get immigration clearance? Not only do you face problems in Thailand you can run into trouble at your next port of call when they look for your last exit stamp.

Note Thailand, like many countries, has a computer system that links immigration posts checking you in and out of the country. If you returned without 'leaving' the system would flag this on your immigration file.

Like Mandi I would advise against it, you risk dropping yourself in the category of drug/gun runners, people smugglers et al.

#4 illa

Posted 21 February 2011 - 02:01 AM

should i use this thread or start a new one.. how to enter thailand without someone checking your passport..

#5 Stocky

Posted 21 February 2011 - 02:05 AM

That would be illegal.

#6 chingy_

Posted 21 February 2011 - 05:40 AM

Let's suppose,  For example, maybe,  How would one go about ,Just curious, I don't think the Thai government can really control  people leaving
give me a reason to think that he want to do it.

A second question is what would happen if you were to arrive in Thailand  and their computer system has no record of you exiting on your prior  visit? Is this a problem, as I know they want their 500 baht a day  overstay but one could just get a new passport with no entry stamp if  your exits aren't recorded?
you are over stay and you don't want to pay the fine if im correct.

try it and you're in a world of hurt.
I lost my passport 5yrs ago, have a new passport and travel to couple of dozen of country after that, and they still ask me if i lost my passport when? i answered 5yrs ago, they smile and let me pass.

#7 keekwai

Posted 21 February 2011 - 09:30 AM

I was just wondering .. does Superman have a passport? How does he deal with popping in and out of countries all the time via the "up up and awaaaay" method of transport ...  :D

#8 Stocky

Posted 21 February 2011 - 09:35 AM

Clark Kent does.

#9 keekwai

Posted 21 February 2011 - 10:23 AM

I thought he was an "Interstellar Wetback"  :D

#10 Andrew Hicks

Posted 21 February 2011 - 12:36 PM

Yes, it's amazing how effective Thailand's computer records of our entrances and exits is.  A peculiarity is that they also takle photocopies of everything and must be accumulating mega-tons of paper records.  It's also strange as one of the key reasons for the whole process is raising money from visa fees.

In contrast the United Kiongdom makes a huge hoo-hah in screening visa applications (which the applicant pays for) but totally fails to check non-nationals out as they leave. As such it's an immigration system that is fundamentally and obviously flawed.

#11 keekwai

Posted 21 February 2011 - 12:44 PM

View PostAndrew Hicks, on 21 February 2011 - 12:36 PM, said:

..... must be accumulating mega-tons of paper records

Goes for every Government department here. Where the Hell are they stockpiling it all?

It's my theory that this is the reason why there is never any paper in public toilets. The Government's used it all!

Not very "Green" of them. Isn't this the "Information Technology Age"

The "Paper Age" has been on it's last legs since last century.

#12 mikewm

Posted 21 February 2011 - 02:12 PM

The reason many counties lack an exit screening program is due to the political power that those negatively affected by such a system posess. Canada and the US only track arrivals even though Immigration has no way to determine how long someone has overstayed their Visa. Try and enact any type of immigration law intended to track "visitors" and just watch the lobbyists and lawyers raise hell. I think Thailand Immigration just doesn't care what the special rights groups think and they will enact any type of process they wish. I mean, does it even make sense to issue a Visa for say 3 months but then have no idea when that person has even left the country?  What seems odd to me though is why the Thai government restricts visitor Visas to 1 month when most countries are 3 or 6 months. Maybe their analysis shows more money can be made in overstay penalties than in the spending from long-term tourists.

#13 TizMe

Posted 21 February 2011 - 05:24 PM

Maybe their analysis shows more money can be made in overstay penalties than in the spending from long-term tourists.
That would assume that they have made an analysis...something I'd find hard to believe.

If they really made an analysis, they would find that all these people on other visas that are required to leave the country every 90 days actually end up spending money in neighbouring countries. These same people would rather pay a fee in Thailand to avoid the necessity of jumping over a border for 20 minutes.

#14 RaceNemo

Posted 21 February 2011 - 08:41 PM

Ghost enter/exit without passport and with Thai permission

#15 RacNamman

Posted 21 February 2011 - 11:35 PM

I know a way to get in and out of Thailand unseen, but you would have to be insane to bother with it

#16 britmaveric

Posted 21 February 2011 - 11:38 PM

Quite easy, but what is the point?  :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 Orient Expat™
Contact us/Advertise