Orient Expat Friends

Cost of Living in Dujiangyan, China

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 rae1968

Posted 13 May 2011 - 12:33 PM

Hi Gents,

I thought I would offer a cost of living summary for my small part of the world, Dujiangyan, China.

Beer 3 to as high as 25 rmb depending on were you go
Milk 6 rmb a liter
Pork 24 rmb a kilo
12 eggs 7 to 15 rmb
Rent 500 to 2000rmb a month
Maid 800 – 1000 rmb a month (5 days a week half day)
E-bike about 3000 rmb
Veggies for the week can cost any where from 20 to 50 rmb (for me at least)

Let’s say I went out every night to eat with 4 friends we could have about 20 beers for 60 rmb 6 different dishes for about 50 rmb that’s 110 rmb. So, about 28 rmb per person. Not bad huh? You could can get by comfortably on about 3000 to 5000 rmb a month here. I usually spend only 2000 - 3000 a month depending on whether or not I go to metro that month.  As far as being cheated at the local market I really do not seem to pay more then anyone else. I buy from the same people all the time and I buy enough that they want to keep my business so they treat me well. However, when I go to different outdoor markets I find the price to be  slightly higher so I always shop at the same place with the same people.

#2 กำนัน

Posted 13 May 2011 - 12:42 PM

This is great, thanks for posting... It's really useful to have localised cost of living overviews posted like this... great threads to have available.

#3 (Member banned)

Posted 13 May 2011 - 06:43 PM

Hi, nice to hear from you again.

Dujiangyan 都江堰 was the epicenter in May 2008, 3 years ago, of one of the strongest earthquakes 汶川大地震 ever recorded in China.

How is the situation now? I think there must be still plenty of damages around in that area. Did you go outside of the city?

Thanks for reporting some pricing in China in a smaller city (less than 1 million people I guess.

It's about 1/3 or less of what we pay in Japan.

I hope you enjoy your long-term stay in China.

#4 rae1968

Posted 16 May 2011 - 12:58 AM

Dujiangyan is recovering nicely. A lot of new buildings have been constructed. You can still see some damage in Dujiangyan but not that much. My school campus was hardly damaged by the quake.

My son took a school trip to the mountains however there was a minority uprising and he had to be separated from his friends. So he did not get to see that much of the village. The uprising was not close to were he was but, the local government was worried about the safety of the foreigners as well as pictures and information leaking out to the international community so they moved him.  

I am toying with the idea of taking a trip to Mongolia or Tibet this summer for a few weeks.  I am also considering teaching in Laos in a year or two. I have heard good things about Laos from a friend of mine and I discussed the possibility of a teaching job with some one there.

It is good to here from you to Yohan. How is the situation in Tokyo? Internet has been blocked here for over a month. The past few days have been the first time I have been able to access international websites and even now it is still touch and go. So I am out of touch with what has been going on in the world.

#5 (Member banned)

Posted 16 May 2011 - 05:14 AM

Thanks for your info about Dujiangyan 都江堰 - not many foreigners like you are living there I guess.
Do you know other foreigners in your area?

-----

About internet connection from/to China:
I do not notice any connection problems from/to China to all major cities and I think, in your case this is really a local, rural problem.

In China some international webpages are usually cut off, but all major business related websites should work.

What about trying some simple pages first, which are totally free of political issues and see if they are working?

And what about trying the Chinese Embassy in Tokyo? Is it working?
Startpage:

http://www.china-embassy.or.jp/chn/
Visa-Application guide for China in English for foreigners
(Japanese tourists do not need visa for all China)
http://www.china-emb...zyw/t331450.htm

What about a big company, like Mitsubishi-Motors?
http://www.mitsubish...m/jp/index.html

Or VOLVO (Swedish carmaker owned by China)
Chinese homepage
http://www.vfsco.com...Pages/home.aspx

A Chinese-German dictionary (server located in Germany, not in the US), looking up the word of 'Beijing'
http://dict.leo.org/...&search=beijing

Nippon Dental University
The Largest Dental University in the World, English information pages
http://www.ndu.ac.jp/en/index.html

Are these websites working? If not, there must be local connection problems somewhere.
That's not intentionally.

-----

About moving on in future to Laos or elsewhere, I think, if you have already experience in China, you should try to enter any international school in Japan.

You will find here many similarities in language and organisation, plenty relations between Japan and China, a good salary and a secure long-term job.

-----

About the situation here in Japan, all is fine in Tokyo and elsewhere, business as usual - but about 300km along the north-eastern coast, the earthquake, flood and nuclear problem have a strong impact to the daily life of people living there.

#6 cheesindave

Posted 16 May 2011 - 08:16 AM

From last week access to international websites from Shenzhen, is now almost impossible. Pretty much everything has been blocked. Including email clients such as gmail, hotmail and yahoo. Even VPN's are now pretty much useless in Shenzhen.

It's probably down to Universaide which will take place in August in Shenzhen.

I'm not sure if other parts of China have also been affected.

#7 rae1968

Posted 16 May 2011 - 10:07 AM

Internet seems to be working now. Freegate was not even working for a while it said no network connection I think. I considered the idea it was just a local problem but all the chinese websites worked perfectly fine it was just overseas websites.

You will not find many foreigners that are not connected to our school. I hear a local college is seeking to employ 6 but that is about it. We do have a around 30  foreigners  here on campus so we all try to get along. There really is not a nightlife here that I know of. Some of the gents mentioned we have a redlight district but I can not give you any info on that. I live a pretty quite life here. While there is not much excitement here alot of the teachers head to Chengdu when they want to cut loose a little bit. Also a lot of the teachers go biking and hiking for fun we have a lot of beautiful scenery here.

Thanks for the info Dave good to know it is not just us with the internet problems.

#8 MrFantabulous

Posted 17 May 2011 - 02:56 AM

Minority group uprisings. . (probably linked to forced relocation, Han flooding their villages or poorly built schools that crushed their children in the quakes),  keeping expats and internationals out of said villages so they can't witness or report on the PRC crackdowns in those areas. . .  ever increasing internet censorship and unreliability.  Sounds like business as usual in the good 'ol PRC.  

BTW you better hope things are real calm in Tibet or you won't have a chance to get in there unless you are Han.

#9 Jack Fancy

Posted 19 May 2011 - 02:03 AM

Ever sneak over to Chengdu, Rae?  It's a short trip... wonder when that train will be finished that connect the two.

#10 rae1968

Posted 19 May 2011 - 04:13 AM

I head over about once every other month. Chengdu is to big of a city for me.

#11 kamikaze

Posted 19 May 2011 - 04:18 AM

Be sure and see the Sichuan Opera. I loved it.

#12 Jack Fancy

Posted 20 May 2011 - 03:12 PM

View Postrae1968, on 19 May 2011 - 04:13 AM, said:

I head over about once every other month. Chengdu is to big of a city for me.

...Oh, I live in the South, just outside the 2nd ring road... It's a wonderful community
and doesn't feel like Big City at all.  You'd like it Rae.  Lemme know when you're down next.
I've got a bar on of the rivers if you're interested in live music.

#13 Starseeker

Posted 25 May 2011 - 03:14 AM

I am curious about something there. Did the earthquake do a lot of damage to the famous dam there?

#14 rae1968

Posted 26 May 2011 - 05:16 AM

Sounds good to me Jack. I like good music. As far as the dam goes it seemed okay to me when I saw it a few months ago.

#15 rcolle

Posted 01 August 2011 - 07:31 AM

Rae, Interesting to read what you said about Dujiangyan. Since February I have been married to Xiaoqian. She is from Dujiangyan. At the moment we are living in her appartment. I have a question about the campus. Where is it located in Dujiangyan? I would like to go there and to meet you and some other foreigners. Thanks!!!   Ron.

#16 rae1968

Posted 01 August 2011 - 10:02 AM

So, what do you think rcolle about what I said? Any additions or corrections?

Not many people are on campus right now. after August 15 people will get here. Are you a drinker? My group tends to indulge. However there is a conservative group on campus we call the Christian militia who do not partake of the forbidden drink  :blink:. (They are good people) Which group would who prefer to hang out with? I hangout with both. lol

#17 AnnaSprowls

Posted 30 September 2011 - 06:09 AM

Sichuan is a great place to go. The cost here is not that much compared with other cities in China, and the weather is very nice.

#18 Sparty

Posted 22 December 2011 - 11:06 AM

I'm at the same school  as rea1968 and would like to add a little. Milk ranges from 6 - 12 rmb, all eggs, meat, and vegetables are sold by the kilo  or jin (500 grams) in their pricing. As far as having different levels of prices I haven't found any here locally.

As for other parts of China its the norm rather than the exception, Take Guilin a popular tourist city. When I lived and worked there prices were based on:

Highest - Tourist (Chinese or Foreign was the same)
Middle - Foreigner living/working there
Lowest - Locals

Oh and Jack Fancy I also lived in Chengdu for 3 years in the Shiren Park are just inside the 2nd ring road. Had no problems if changing prices in my area either.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 Orient Expat™
Contact us/Advertise