Asia Hotels

Online banking with a UK bank from overseas

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 kamikaze

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:15 AM

If i sign up for online banking and debit card with a uk bank, do they automatically send me a card reader or do I have to request it online?

Can I transfer money from my UK bank to my bank account offshore without a card reader? What do I need the card reader for?

#2 Stocky

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:51 AM

Which bank?

I've a card reader for my Nationwide account but not with my Lloyds account. With Nationwide if I'm doing anything outside accounts in my name with Nationwide I need to use the card reader to generate the authorisation codes.

#3 kamikaze

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:55 AM

This is NatWest. Looking through their site, it seems I have to order the card reader after I get the activation code. It's weird they don't say anything about the debit card. Also, I don't see anything about being able to transfer money to an offshore bank, which is what I want to do.

#4 Stocky

Posted 19 May 2011 - 12:51 PM

You need it with a debit card.

http://www.natwest.c...ard-reader.ashx

It says.

When you are banking online, you may be asked to use your bank card and Card-Reader when you:
    make a payment for the first time online via a payment instruction that you set up separately from online banking
    set up or change a single or regular payment instruction
    create or amend a standing order
    change your PIN or password that you use to log in to online banking

So if you can make offshore transactions, which I'm sure you can, you will need to use the reader to set up the first instance.

There seem to be 3 systems in use, either singularly or in combination, with just about all online banking these days.

Card reader - that makes use of the chip on existing debit cards
Number generator - small device that generates a 6 digit code
SMS password - a one time password sent to your mobile phone

I doubt there are any accounts in the UK that don't make use of one or the other.

#5 kamikaze

Posted 19 May 2011 - 02:43 PM

Thanks. They told me on the phone that the card reader was "like a little calculator."

Huh. They told me they'd send me a debit card - which would be useful if I could use it in an ATM - but on their web page it says:
"If you don’t have a debit card, we’ll send you an online banking card to use in your Card-Reader.

#6 กำนัน

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:09 PM

The only time I used my card reader with Nationwide was to transfer funds to one of my accounts in Thailand via online banking. I think you have to use the card reader to log on now as well, but I no longer use Nationwide, because they removed the reason to bank with them i.e. free international ATM withdrawals etc. I'm currently trying out Halifax for my UK banking, but I've yet to do an international transfer, so I've no idea if they issue card readers. They sure haven't mentioned it yet.

#7 kamikaze

Posted 29 May 2011 - 02:13 PM

Well, I got my online banking activated, ordered the card reader and a VISA debit card is on its way. Sweet.

#8 kamikaze

Posted 07 July 2011 - 03:54 AM

It turned out the debit card was almost certainly stolen in Thailand, but i got the replacement yesterday. NatWest's online banking is pathetic. It only allows 18 characters to be input for a payee name and there's no explanation about what to do if the name is longer. After wasting an hour changing browsers and trying to figure it out, I tried their online chat and after a brief wait was told to shorten the payee name! Doh!

I don't know whether to laugh or cry at the "investigation" regarding the disappearance of my debt card while in the hands on Thailand Post. Their own tracking system shows it was put in a container at Laksi and wasn't in the container when it arrived a few miles away at Rong Muang in Pathumwan. But today they sent the postman to ask me what had happened and what I had and hadn't received. I told him the package I received yesterday was the replacement card but I definitely never received the original. Seems like they suspect I got the card but doubt their own tracking system records.

#9 กำนัน

Posted 07 July 2011 - 04:13 PM

I had a chin wag with the postmaster in my local post office in the UK last week, when sending the PSP to Thailand, that I mentioned elsewhere on the forum. We were discussing the best method of sending packages without them being pilfered or 'damaged'. He was quite hesitant to blame the Thai postal system but when I mentioned stuff I knew about, he was only too keen to agree, and added 'but I'm not allowed to say that, of course'... the implication they are instructed not to apportion blame on overseas carriers. He did say however that the best thing you can do is use a service where the recipient has to sign, as the Thai side are obliged to follow certain procedures in that case, and usually do so.

#10 kamikaze

Posted 07 July 2011 - 06:17 PM

Well, yeah, but I've never signed for anything since I arrived in Thailand. They just get the guard, the floor sweeper or anyone handy around the front gate to sign for packages - even when I am at home. But anyway the package that was "lost" simply disappeared between Laksi and Rong Muang. "Item in container at Laksi." "Container arrived at Rong Muang." After that the record is blank and they claim they don't know how it could not have been in the container. Of course they don't bother to match what goes in the container with what comes out - just wait for the customer to complain.

#11 kamikaze

Posted 11 July 2011 - 12:55 PM

The general lunacy continues: my first BACS online transfer to another of my accounts at a different bank was rejected with no reason given.  :rolleyes:  :lol:  :lol:

#12 Stocky

Posted 11 July 2011 - 02:45 PM

Did the card need to be activated first? Sometimes you need to phone a number confirm receipt by answering the usual security questions.

Edited by Stocky, 11 July 2011 - 02:46 PM.

#13 kamikaze

Posted 11 July 2011 - 04:28 PM

Yes. Everything hunky dory at the sender bank. They say the transfer was rejected by the receiving bank. They must have something screwed up with my account. I have more than one.

#14 kamikaze

Posted 13 July 2011 - 11:03 AM

Well, Hallelujah! The transfer went through on the second attempt. It seems I had the payee details for an "electronic transfer" rather than an online banking transfer. Total time to set up this new account at a bank where I already had an active account: 5 months.

#15 kamikaze

Posted 19 July 2011 - 09:14 AM

I can't find my thread on postal theft, but the investigation report on my "lost" debit card from the UK finally arrived (in Thai).

The conclusion is "item lost while give document to post officer sending to destination" and "customer did not ask for compensation or punishment [BS!!]." Case closed. What a farce!

#16 kamikaze

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:17 AM

And after all this hassle, in the end Natwest shafted me. When I finally had to transfer a chunk of money to Thailand I found there was no way to specify sending it in pounds. They happily convert it to baht (by default) at a rate 2 baht lower than standard, costing me several thousand baht in addition to the 20 pound fee. I thought online transfers were supposed to be easier - perhaps they are - but you end up paying through the nose.

#17 Stocky

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:27 AM

Ouch!

#18 bkk_mike

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:17 AM

Natwest online banking is a pain...

I prefer HBOS or Lloyds. (Basically the same internet banking nowadays... but for some reason HBOS has cheaper international transfers - and no issue forcing the payment to be in GBP). There's an automated call to your pre-registered phone number and you enter the number into the phone that's on your computer screen when setting up a new payment, rather than having to have one of those number generators or a card reader device.)

I also quite like HSBC (in HK), although by default, you have to set up the accounts you transfer money to in-branch prior to being able to send the money via the internet banking..

Note: I have a vonage number that I gave the bank for the automated calls, so it's a UK number. I don't know if they like non-UK telephone numbers...

Edited by bkk_mike, 21 January 2013 - 06:18 AM.

#19 kamikaze

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:24 AM

View Postkamikaze, on 16 January 2013 - 04:17 AM, said:

And after all this hassle, in the end Natwest shafted me. When I finally had to transfer a chunk of money to Thailand I found there was no way to specify sending it in pounds. They happily convert it to baht (by default) at a rate 2 baht lower than standard, costing me several thousand baht in addition to the 20 pound fee.

This is no longer the case. You can now specify many different currencies to transfer.

Edited by kamikaze, 27 August 2013 - 07:25 AM.

#20 kamikaze

Posted 03 January 2014 - 02:29 AM

Noooo! They lied to me! When I finally tried to do a transfer, yes, you can specify any currency, but they still do the conversion in the UK at a lousy rate. I got one of their support people up on webchat and they confirmed that what you can do at the bank counter (send a sterling amount to be converted at the Thai end), you can't do online. So it's back to cashing a sterling cheque in Thailand and waiting 45 days for the money.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 Orient Expat™
Contact us/Advertise