Orient Expat Friends

Modem setup for Unitel 3g Internet in Laos

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 VientianeV

Posted 29 May 2011 - 06:32 AM

I'm going to get this Unitel 3G service on the recommendation of someone in this website, but can you tell me how to set it up properly when I get it. I'm no good at technical stuff. I just want to plug it in a use the Internet and Skype.

Also I'd like to know how good the reception and coverage is in and around Vientiane. How far out of the city can you go and still get high speeds?

#2 stumpy

Posted 29 May 2011 - 09:31 AM

Hi VientianeV

I got mine and it came with set up instructions in English, Very much a 'plug and play' thing.
Good coverage around VT but I don't know about the outskirts.

#3 laobali

Posted 08 June 2011 - 03:25 AM

If you haven't already got it, you shouldn't have any problem installing the Unitel 3G modem yourself. Assuming it was charged when you bought it, plug it into a USB port and the program installs automatically; it loads each time you plug the modem in. Click to connect and you'll get a visual and audible confirmation of internet connection.

The interface is simple to check status; diagnostics shows signal strength which appears very low but more than 10/99 will give access. 13-19 is usual for me and 23 is the highest I've seen around VTE up to 10km or so; also available in provincial towns with varying distance of coverage, depending on population I guess.

If you take a laptop to a Unitel office they can install it for you and explain how the subscription works. One or two of them speak reasonable English at HO on Nongbone Rd. e.g. the LT100 sub costs 100,000 kip for 3GB and needs to be recharged on the 1st day of each month. Remaining data balance including bonus accumulates and carries forward. The service uses standard Unitel phone refill cards of any value, available everywhere.

More info on Laos internet and phones at http://go2c.me/laocomms

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 Orient Expat™
Contact us/Advertise