Orient Expat Friends

Christianity is China's New Boom Industry

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 kamikaze

Posted 22 October 2011 - 07:04 AM

The number of Christians has increased by 17 times since 1949, writes Simon Scott Plummer. In 40 years, China might become the most populous Christian country on earth.

China's Cultural Revolution was one of the most determined attempts in history to extirpate religious belief, whether indigenous or imported. Yet, a generation after the death of Mao Zedong, it is enjoying phenomenal growth. The rise in the number of Protestants, estimated at over 50 million, has been described as the single greatest revival Christianity has ever known. There is talk that, by the middle of this century, Chinese Christians will have outnumbered those in the United States, at present more than 170 million and declining, making China the most populous Christian country on earth.

http://www.huffingto..._b_1021323.html

Scary...

#2 (Member banned)

Posted 22 October 2011 - 08:14 AM

View Postkamikaze, on 22 October 2011 - 07:04 AM, said:

..... In 40 years, China might become the most populous Christian country on earth.

..... The rise in the number of Protestants, estimated at over 50 million, has been described as the single greatest revival Christianity has ever known.

..... United States, at present more than 170 million and declining, making China the most populous Christian country on earth.

In China there will always be many millions of people, who will be Buddhists, atheists and even Muslims.

And about 50 million protestants and 170+ million Chinese Christians in 40 years or so, it should be noticed that China has approx. 1340 million people.

This means in 40 years, maybe 15 percent or so might be Christians?

The report also 'forgets' to mention the Philippines. You might say, this is off-topic but maybe not.
Consider, if the future of Christianity is so bright in China, why is then Philippines not such a bright country with high living standard?

#3 BlahBlahBlah

Posted 22 October 2011 - 12:09 PM

Perhaps it's because the Philppines is predominantly Roman Catholic? And they take their Catholicism rather seriously. I think the Chinese are more likely to adopt some form of Protestantism, one which can be adapted to fit in with the existing society, building religion around life, rather than the RC concept of life around religion.

#4 Starseeker

Posted 23 October 2011 - 04:10 AM

AFAIK, the Vatican still doesn't recognize China as a country.  I am not sure what it means, but communist christians usually gives me the feeling some kind of ponzi scheme recruitment given the things I heard about it.  

Maybe I should start a polygamist church in China..., yeah.., that sounds good.  :huh:

#5 Jack Fancy

Posted 23 October 2011 - 07:23 AM

I like living in China for the lack of religion in your face.  I can think of two churches, a small number of of Chinese wearing crosses, many Chinese Muslims (they ain't preaching) and Tibetans (they ain't preaching either, usually just fighting).

When I hear of Chinese taking on Christianity, it reminds me of the average atheist Chinese practicing some Buddhist ritual.

#6 MrFantabulous

Posted 24 October 2011 - 04:19 AM

Hopefully it brings with it the concept of "charity" to China.   Helping the poor man or child on the street.   There is a huge gap in the average Chinese life that can't be filled by materialism and so is ripe to be filled by whatever the religion of the day is.   Whatever the case it will be watched very carefully by the government. .  and any Christian movements that become political or gain too much momentum will be crushed early on as was Falun Gong.

#7 Starseeker

Posted 24 October 2011 - 05:24 AM

Are you kidding me?  Church is viewed by many as a good way to launder money.

#8 RaceNemo

Posted 24 October 2011 - 03:28 PM

Lets welcome the first CHINESE POPE
He can't be worse than the present one

Do we yet see the white smoke?
I see the priest smoking a 10 year old already............

#9 Uncle Gweilo

Posted 24 October 2011 - 09:36 PM

From what little I've read and seen, the CCP are very wary of Christian churches of any colour. Firstly, they prosletyse. Secondly, they meet in groups that say they're only doing it for peace and love.

The Chinese memory is long. The Boxers of the ealry 20th Century and the Taipings back in the mid-19th are recent events. They don't want a repeat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 Orient Expat™
Contact us/Advertise