Orient Expat Friends

Will China Invade Afghanistan?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Uncle Gweilo

Posted 24 October 2011 - 09:50 PM

I was listening to the ABC Radio (Australia) evening current affairs programme "PM" on my way home last night. It featured an interview with someone named Loretta NAPOLEONI. A fuller interview is on the ABC website, and I'll check it out later, but a couple of things struck me:

She has written a book called "Maonomics" and her general opinion is that the CCP are much better at being capitalists than the West. That could stand up to some scrutiny.

The second thing that was the main point of the above-mentioned interview was that the mob producing all the heroin in Afghanistan are doing all the "value adding" to the raw poppy juice themselves, cutting out all the intermediaries required to get the stuff into Europe and dealing it directly into Pakistan and Iran. And are looking to the 1500 million people in China as their next market.

This, of course, has the PRC very toey, and Napoleoni's thesis is that China will be only too keen to invade Afghanistan in order to "protect" itself and its people. The Opium Wars of the mid-19th Century are recent history to the Chinese and they definitely do not want a repeat of same in the 21st.

I need to put aside some time to research this further, but if any learned OE alumnus has heard or read more, I'd be interested in reading it here.

#2 Guest_Il Postino_*

Posted 24 October 2011 - 09:58 PM

What about the opium produced in Burma, the golden triangle.
Surely they would have invaded these places first if that was their overall goal.

I don't think China will invade anywhere, I think China will just do business quietly to get what they want.
Well at the moment anyway, who can tell what will happen in the distant future.

#3 Starseeker

Posted 25 October 2011 - 08:00 PM

Ur......, has she lived in China before?  I am not even sure where to start commenting on the statements.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 Orient Expat™
Contact us/Advertise