Orient Expat Friends

Retiring in China (and home ownership)

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#31 Jack Fancy

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:10 AM

This winter was absolutely terrible for pollution!  But, most of it was due to the new upper-deck 2nd ring road, which is now finished.
So, now it's just back to normal pollution....

#32 rae1968

Posted 13 August 2013 - 06:43 PM

Well Chengdu is definitely cleaner!!  Trash every where rats and roaches running around the food court and the water smelled like rotten eggs. I felt like I was living in the projects. If I wanted to live like that I wouldn't have left the states.

#33 rogerluli

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:28 PM

We're headed to China in November after I retire...We will be looking at Shenzhen, Kunming/Yuxi, and Hainan as possibilities for living for the next few years...But more than likely afterwards we will return to the US to live although my Chinese wife will always need to return to China periodically to see her family and take care of her interests there...

#34 MrFantabulous

Posted 14 September 2013 - 04:50 AM

View PostJack Fancy, on 24 June 2013 - 01:10 AM, said:

This winter was absolutely terrible for pollution!  But, most of it was due to the new upper-deck 2nd ring road, which is now finished.
So, now it's just back to normal pollution....

I guess I came at the wrong time Jack.  Glad to hear winter 2012/2013 is not the norm.  The 2nd and 3rd! tier roads were definitely in progress while I was there. .    Being built at lightning speeds.   One time we parked and walked along the road construction area to meet someone at a restaurant. .  we had to hold shirts ad tissues over our mouths because the dust was so thick . . and we were gagging on it.    Did the roads noticeably improve traffic and bus travel times??    Also remember every evening you see truck convoys hauling into the city the massive cement elevated road sections that they prefab outside the city.

#35 Jack Fancy

Posted 17 September 2013 - 12:10 PM

I still prefer traveling by mass transit and the upper deck on the second ring road is awesome for the new K1 and K2 lines... quickalicious!  Every taxi driver and company driver I've asked has said they notice the improvement but my wife and other gotta-have-a-car-for-face-value types b*tch about it still.

#36 MrFantabulous

Posted 23 September 2013 - 04:06 AM

I don't see why car drivers would bitch about it. . when it is taking slower buses out of the car traffic.   View must be good from the upper deck. . as long as you don't get too close to  the sides.

#37 rae1968

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:56 AM

Hey Jack I drove by the Global Center the other day. I did a little wave since I knew you worked there!!! Any updates on getting a green card? I am having someone from my school look into it for me.

Also did you know you need a house in order to get a credit card? I

#38 Jack Fancy

Posted 02 October 2013 - 02:23 AM

Oh, was that you...? hehe... I've been too busy to work on a green card but I'll let you know when I get it done.

#39 ToddRobins

Posted 05 October 2013 - 07:32 AM

Hello guys! Next month I am getting shifted to Chengdu, I am planning to start an IT company there, Is there any market available for that?

#40 Simplyread

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:37 AM

wow, 32 years old and making retirement plans. Impressive.
I hope China is still standing when you turn 65

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 Orient Expat™
Contact us/Advertise