Asia Hotels

Living and teaching English in China

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 hejafish

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:05 AM

Hello all,

Relatively new to this site.

I am about to complete my degree in Combined Honours TEFL with Cultural Studies here in England. My girlfriend is Chinese currently residing in GuangZhou and I will go to join her as soon as my last exam is over.

I was just wondering, where is a good place to live and teach in China? I've been to GuangZhou and it is a nice city. But I like hiking and nature (and clean air) and so was wondering if there was somewhere more suitable. How about Chengdu? I also love music (listening and playing) both Western and Eastern. My girlfriend is happy wherever we go as long as we can have a pet dog and cat!!

Oh.. and is it essential I get a CELTA?

Any advice welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Martin

#2 rogerluli

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:18 PM

Just a suggestion on your clean air requirement. Probably no first or second tier city in China has clean air. Think small city for good air quality, but it still depends on their industries and power source. I would suggest you take a look at Yuxi, Yunnan for good weather and air.

#3 MrFantabulous

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:43 AM

"I like hiking and nature (and clean air) "  

Sorry, wrong country!  That is something you'll have to sacrifice in China. Chengdu has surrounding mountains some of which you can hike in.. but getting there is difficult . .and the more accessible ones will be standard shoulder to shoulder crowd hikes up mountain staircases accompanied by portable radios and guides with megaphones and orange hatted tourists.  

Now Yunnan or Hainan might have some relatively intact wilderness areas, but those remote areas won't have any living wage teaching opportunities for you.

Edited by MrFantabulous, 17 February 2012 - 03:44 AM.

#4 METHOS

Posted 17 February 2012 - 05:38 AM

Maybe you'll live longer here.

#5 shep

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:15 AM

Interesting article Methos. As a teenager in the TA I was perpetually ordered for medicals due to my weight, after many of these the chief MO gave me a full medical and said I had no problems and my history of spending more time in the sickhouse than the NAAFI was over. His parting words to me were; The secret to longevity was to work hard use my brain and eat little.
Years later a Danish study was published, Repeated 2/3 years ago stating that the secret to a long life is to be slightly over worked, slightly over stressed and slightly underfed, something Chinese villagers have experienced for many generations, maybe there is some truth to it.

#6 hejafish

Posted 17 February 2012 - 06:26 PM

mm.. some interesting feedback, yes, I thought as much about China.
Such a terrible thing pollution. The quicker the world runs out of oil the better.

Yes, I've witnessed those groups of hikers (tourists) in China with the megaphone wielding guide!!
The groups were often in close proximity to the guide but the guide would still be screaming through the megaphone!
Probably telling the tourists how tranquil it is here!

#7 Jack Fancy

Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:06 PM

Come to Chengdu!  Live in the city where you can find a job easily and take your day trips out side the city just as easily....

#8 hejafish

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:02 PM

Yes, I do think Chengdu is where we will end up going. So it is easy to find work there?.. that is good news! and day trips our of the city are also easy? Great!!!

We are heading to Bangkok first for a little holiday before we both start working. We could end up staying there also for a while.. depending on if my gf can get a job there. She is Chinese so we are thinking maybe she could teach Chinese somewhere. In fact.. I will put this question to the forum under a new post now...

#9 Jack Fancy

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:58 AM

It's fairly easy to find work here...just depends on what you can and/or want to do....
I don't travel nor take day trips but there are plenty of bike clubs here and plenty to see outside the city limits...

#10 hejafish

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:17 PM

I will complete my degree soon in Teaching English as a Foreign Language (yes..they do degrees in TEFL!) so I will be seeking employment as a teacher. I haven't a great deal of experience but I will build it up on a low wage if I have to.
The bike club sounds great!! Wonder if it would be affordable to ship my bike from England? You do mean mountain bike right?!

Edited by กำนัน, 05 March 2012 - 08:10 AM.
No need to quote the last post

#11 Jack Fancy

Posted 05 March 2012 - 01:11 PM

I've seen mountain bikes around...you should be able to find a club.  check out gochengdoo.com, they might have something posted of interest.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 Orient Expat™
Contact us/Advertise