Asia Hotels

More tourist electrocutions in Thailand

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#31 cooked

Posted 20 June 2012 - 06:32 AM

I have a circuit breaker installed, as the house was never earthed. (apparently some Thai electricians will put the earthing wire into the wall or attach it to a PVC pipe - sort of  'well, if you bloody well insist' way of doing things). It is set at 5mA and has not tripped yet, I test it now and again using the test button. My brother in law, A Swiss electrician, has also gone for this solution, we both have Safe-T-Cut installations. I think some air conditioner suppliers include circuit breakers automatically, maybe it might be a good idea to install one next to the water heater also.

#32 Il Postino

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:53 AM

Cooked have you got a picture of this circuit breaker, the one that is set to 5ma, a close up picture, thanks.

#33 cooked

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:35 AM

sorry, no because it is an older model and I am back in Switzerland. As I recall, it has three settings, 5., 15 and 30mA. You can find safe-t-cut easily enough on Google, ok?

#34 Il Postino

Posted 20 June 2012 - 11:25 AM

Is it one of these or similar?

http://www.safe-t-cu...adproduct&id=30

Edited by Il Postino, 20 June 2012 - 11:26 AM.

#35 cooked

Posted 20 June 2012 - 02:24 PM

yup, mine is about 5 years old, looks different, but same function I guess

#36 Il Postino

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:03 PM

It just makes me wonder that when devices like this are installed or earth rods are driven into the ground is there any testing done?

Do Thai electricians have any test equipment at all?

#37 กำนัน

Posted 21 June 2012 - 03:20 AM

In the sticks, Somchai's electrical services test equipment probably consists of a wet finger... but there are standards, qualified electricians in big cities working on properly funded projects will have all the gear... I remember a scheduled power outage at our place in the sticks. We took a drive into the village and saw the linesmen working on the high tension lines. They appeared to have all the right equipment and were being closely supervised. We were driving past just as they were preparing to throw the switch on the spark gap (with the long insulated pole) to re-energise the lines. It made me nervous so we didn't stick around to watch.

#38 stumpy

Posted 21 June 2012 - 03:43 AM

Had a problem in our Vientiane house when the circuit breakers we had installed a few years ago burnt up.

Seem the extra lights and ceiling fans the wife had installed 2 weeks ago were too much for the system.

Now have larger circuit breakers fitted to main board, along with new wiring where necessary,new sub boards, and power points throughout the house.

Edited by stumpy, 21 June 2012 - 03:43 AM.

#39 BlahBlahBlah

Posted 21 June 2012 - 07:32 AM

View Postกำนัน, on 11 March 2012 - 07:12 PM, said:

You only tend to hear about the electrocution of foreigners. Many, many more Thai people are killed in this way.

This one's already posted, but I want to post it again here...

A young British tourist died in Patong early this morning after he accidentally placed his hand on an outdoor, floor-mounted power socket covered with water.

Full: http://www.phuketgaz...ticle10877.html

Can you believe that, a power socket on the floor, outdoors! Can you believe the stupidity?!

The stupidity levels displayed in many parts of Asia regarding many different things are quite simply, shocking.

#40 Il Postino

Posted 21 June 2012 - 11:16 AM

Stumpy how is the system earthed?

Got any pictures?

#41 Bluecat

Posted 21 June 2012 - 11:29 AM

Reminds me of a discussion I had with an "electrician" that was sent by the landlord to repair an old air-con in our house in Bangkok, quite a few years ago.
The air-con had a plug that was plugged in a socket and he decided to dismantle it in order to see whether there could be a problem there.
And he was happy showing me how smart he was, he found the problem right away, there were 3 wires in the plug but you only need two.
Not a joke.

#42 chris# one

Posted 21 June 2012 - 12:47 PM

ilpostino, as bluecat stated - you only need 2 wires i.e. no earth ! So what is connected to the earth rod anyway?

#43 stumpy

Posted 21 June 2012 - 01:33 PM

No earth system here in Lao.

All seems okay now as heavier wiring and decent wall plugs installed to take the extra wall fans and lighting. The confusion seems to be that I have 3 phase power into the house as that was the norm with houses that expats built for all the airconditioning.

Still problems in Lao finding a good electrician.I am a bit lucky in that I have a reasonably good local electrican the family can call on if I am not there.

#44 Il Postino

Posted 21 June 2012 - 04:31 PM

Chris look at the video on post 29 of this thread.

#45 Kerfuffle

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:05 AM

A socket for ALL plugs:
http://www.bbc.co.uk...gazine-18266022

#46 skydiver777

Posted 09 August 2012 - 06:20 AM

Reckon a well executed belly flop would sort them out.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 Orient Expat™
Contact us/Advertise