Orient Expat Friends

Beer Girls in Vietnam, what's the deal?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Wayland

Posted 24 September 2013 - 04:49 AM

What exactly is the deal with the beer girls that you see all over in Vietnam?  These aren't girls who work in bars, so they aren't bar girls.  But they work in almost every Vietnamese restaurant and they wear a short, little dress advertising some sort of beer.  The most common seem to be the Saigon and Tiger beer girls, but I've seen several others too, but rarely at the same restaurant.  They usually keep your glass full, and will occasionally talk with you if you engage them in conversation.  They're always cute and attractive, and I've seen the beer vans on the street transporting them to the different venues.  I've even seen some cigarette girls popping up in a few places.

I've been told by some Vietnamese that they aren't always well respected, because some of the girls will go home with guys if paid a little extra, but all the ones I've seen have never given that vibe.

I had a friend who went out on a few dates with a Saigon beer girl he met, and he said she never let on that she wanted to go home with him for the night.  He actually got upset when I told him that I had heard that some beer girls are prostitutes on the side.

So, does anyone have anymore info?  Are these girls generally ok to date, or would should they be avoided as bar girls?

#2 kamikaze

Posted 24 September 2013 - 05:05 AM

We have them in Thailand. I think it's just a way for the brewers to advertise their product. They are paid a salary.

#3 JustB

Posted 24 September 2013 - 05:30 AM

IIRC they're called "The Pretties" in Thailand and are paid by Companies to promote products (in this case beer).

Whether one will go home with a guy for "a little bit of extra cash" comes down to whether the girl is a hooker or not. The ones I've seen in Singapore, Thailand & Vietnam don't give the impression that they would & I think if they were that way inclined they'd probably make a lot more money by just working in a bar.

#4 Stocky

Posted 24 September 2013 - 06:00 AM

My experience with Tiger Beer girls, many moons ago in another lifetime, was they'd flirt and tease a little to get you to buy their beer, but they weren't going beyond that.

#5 กำนัน

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:06 AM

The fantasists that claim they're all available for money are the same types that kid themselves they can throw a few hundred baht at their hotel maid to jump into the sack. They'll also probably be telling you they're ex-SAS or something similar. Wan kers basically.
They're just beer promo girls. We have a former beer promo girl posting here at Orient Expat, I'm sure she can throw some light on the industry for you.

#6 stumpy

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:27 AM

Laos has the same. Beer and tease girls.

#7 BlahBlahBlah

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:56 AM

I had a great night out with a Tiger Beer girl that worked in a bar in Hanoi. There was no funny business, just two people out on the town. She took me to some local places that I would never have found on my own. At the time she was studying for a degree
in Business and she used the work to improve her English language skills. I believe she eventually ended up marrying some English guy and they now are living the suburban dream in Surbiton.

#8 britmaveric

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:39 AM

I am quite sure some Promo girls date customers, as probably some go for dosh and some just a job so they flirt to sell more lager. I am sure the flirt to sell more lager is the predominent majority.

I've known some thai promo birds and well they were making extra dosh while studying at uni. :w00t:  All really nice genuine birds and happy to call mates. :)

#9 englishmaninhcm

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:18 PM

Yea, A lot of them are students. I imagine that some will sleep with you if they like you enough, but maybe not on the first date, the same as with any girl you meet.

I've heard that a few will go for a bit of money, but that has never been my general impression. They are just pretties working to promote the beer.

#10 hanno

Posted 24 September 2013 - 11:10 PM

Most of them just their to promote beers but some do make some extra money; at least here in Cambodia (big article in the Phnom Penh Post a few weeks back).

I did go out with a promo girl in VN a long time ago, but it took a lot of time; and it wasn't for the money.

#11 Wayland

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:31 AM

Thanks for the info. I spotted a knockout the other night at the restaurant I was at. I got the feeling she was interested, but maybe she was just doing her job well. I think I'll try my luck in asking her out next time I see her.

#12 Stocky

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:46 AM

Certainly some will date customers if they like them, but it's a normal boy-girl relationship not a boy-bar girl relationship. The big problem is the job doesn't allow for much of a social life, they only get one night off per week if they're lucky, more often it's one night per fortnight.

#13 dglocke

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:46 AM

Advertising girls seem to be very popular in Vietnam, not just beer girls. In the local supermarket I see Dutch Girl and Friso milk girls on the baby formula section. Same also in the makeup section.

#14 hanno

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:52 AM

You outed yourself there :thmbup:

#15 calmrivervn

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:43 AM

View PostWayland, on 24 September 2013 - 04:49 AM, said:

What exactly is the deal with the beer girls that you see all over in Vietnam?  These aren't girls who work in bars, so they aren't bar girls.  But they work in almost every Vietnamese restaurant and they wear a short, little dress advertising some sort of beer.  The most common seem to be the Saigon and Tiger beer girls, but I've seen several others too, but rarely at the same restaurant.  They usually keep your glass full, and will occasionally talk with you if you engage them in conversation.  They're always cute and attractive, and I've seen the beer vans on the street transporting them to the different venues.  I've even seen some cigarette girls popping up in a few places.I've been told by some Vietnamese that they aren't always well respected, because some of the girls will go home with guys if paid a little extra, but all the ones I've seen have never given that vibe.I had a friend who went out on a few dates with a Saigon beer girl he met, and he said she never let on that she wanted to go home with him for the night.  He actually got upset when I told him that I had heard that some beer girls are prostitutes on the side.So, does anyone have anymore info?  Are these girls generally ok to date, or would should they be avoided as bar girls?

Well, your friend is right and...wrong. As other normal girls who are working in such a complicated environment where they have chances to meet many guys who have full money in pocket to come to drink, chat, have fun and willing throw the money on a pretty girl just to show up. At first, those girls might not intend to go out for money, but later on a few girls might agree to do it because they find out that it is easier to make money that way. Those girls are almost similar to many girls who works as servers in the restaurant. Their job is not going to bed with customers but a few of them are doing it for some extra money. However, not all people understand that there are still many girls only serve the foods and get paid for that. They won't never agree to sleep with customers for money.

It reminds me a story happened 17 years ago. It was my shift at one of the biggest restaurant in that city at the moment. I was called to serve a small group of Viet local army. There were about 10 people including colonels, captains, etc. I was being told by the restaurant owner that those guys drink very well but they normally drink Saigon beer only. She told me if I could get them drink Tiger beer, I could sell up to 10 cases for that table only. Well, I was trying my best to get them change from Saigon beer to Tiger beer.

At first they were nice, polite and behaved themselves. After almost an hours eating & drinking, some started to get drunk. As we were being trained, it was the time for us who were promotion girls to leave and let the restaurant's gilrs manage. Plus, it was late and end of my working hours. So I asked them allow me to leave. Those guys were happy to say goodbye except the chief. He asked me to take a seat and drink with him. I apologized and tried to make an excuse that it was the company's policy we were not allowed to drink with customers, especially during working hours. He started to yell at me: "don't tried to be naive! Don't pretend! I know all of you, those fck... promotion girls, all you want is money, you fck...are cheap, etc...".

Well I knew he got drunk, so I just tried to find excuse to run away. Those others and restaurant's manager were also trying to cool him down and tell me to walk away. However, when he grabed my hand, pulled me back and poured his glass of beer on me, I couldn't control my temper anymore. I grabed a glass of beer on the table and threw it into the wall behind him, then walked out of the restaurant. It was a bad day indeed.

I decided not to go back to work again though my manager keep calling and convinced me that it was only an accident, that it wouldn't happen often. That guy after got over the drunk also tried to contact me to say sorry. He even waited to see me in front of the university when I finished my class.  But I better to get away from those drinking guys. Later on, I found another part-time job with lower paid but safe. The point here is there are a few promotion girls willing to go out with customers for some extra money, and those customers think that all of those promotion girls are the same. In fact, it's not.

Edited by กำนัน, 02 October 2013 - 01:58 AM.

#16 britmaveric

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:20 AM

Of course not the same I think it will be glaringly obvious if one is different than one just promoting their lager. However sometimes lads are pretty thick and not consider how making assumptions might be a pretty bad idea. :thmbdn:

#17 dglocke

Posted 06 October 2013 - 12:58 PM

Posted Image

#18 britmaveric

Posted 06 October 2013 - 02:00 PM

^care to elaborate what you are implying? :huh:

#19 BlahBlahBlah

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:55 AM

I think it's being implied that Beer Girls also offer other services. In this instance I think she's looking for bedbugs.

#20 hesaidshesaid

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:13 AM

@BBB Funny! I almost choked on my Diet Coke.

#21 dglocke

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:03 AM

I wasn't trying to imply anything. I just saw this on a friends Facebook page and remembered this thread.

#22 britmaveric

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:48 AM

Well you certainly could have said as much as I thought you had taken up with a Heineken promo bird by the looks of it. :lol:  Sure it was a mate's facebook page and not your own? :w00t:

#23 Stocky

Posted 07 October 2013 - 01:25 PM

Hope you asked her permission to post her picture? :whistling:

#24 kamikaze

Posted 07 October 2013 - 01:38 PM

She looks endearingly amateurish. :whistling:

#25 Bluecat

Posted 07 October 2013 - 02:03 PM

A pity I do not like Heineken beer :D

#26 Giberish

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:10 PM

View Posthesaidshesaid, on 07 October 2013 - 09:13 AM, said:

@BBB Funny! I almost choked on my Diet Coke.

I chocked on my tea :lol:.

#27 englishmaninhcm

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:43 PM

I really should make a joke about choking my chicken here.

#28 hanno

Posted 08 October 2013 - 03:59 AM

I hate Heineken!!!! And the Tiger girls are cuter.

#29 chingy_

Posted 09 October 2013 - 04:38 AM

nice ass, what Heineken.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 Orient Expat™
Contact us/Advertise