Asia Hotels

Do you want to marry an Indonesian woman?

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 Bluecat

Posted 10 October 2005 - 12:05 PM

Want to marry RI woman? Pay Rp 500m in deposit

If you happen to be a not-so-rich foreign gentleman who plans to marry an Indonesian lady here, you'd better tie the knot quickly as the authorities may put an expensive price tag on Indonesian women in the future.

Unknown to many, the Supreme Court is mulling requiring foreign men to deposit some Rp 500 million (about US$50,000) before marrying Indonesian female citizens.

Advertisement: Professional, ethical Expat personals in Indonesia

#2 yohan

Posted 10 October 2005 - 02:18 PM

In Indonesia foreigners are not welcome - this is a fact.

If you have private contacts to that country, there is however one solution...moving out to Malaysia.

In Malaysia all is much better than in Indonesia. As a Western foreigner it is possible to settle down, nobody takes away your property, and the Indonesian woman also has no legal problem to move to Malaysia  - same language, too.

Visa requirements are much easier, no hassles at all in Malaysia. Forget about Indonesia.

#3 Bluecat

Posted 10 October 2005 - 02:30 PM

Come on, Yohan, if you fall in love with an Indonesian woman, are you going to go to Malaysia because they speak the same language and hope to find her twin...? :gun_rifle:  :unsure:

#4 yohan

Posted 10 October 2005 - 02:52 PM

Bluecat, maybe you misunderstood my posting.

There is clearly a problem for us Western men to move into Indonesia and to marry a local woman there. You are not welcome by the Indonesian government. Security is also a major concern.

I can only speak about retirement, and if you like that people and their culture, then forget about Indonesia and settle down in Malaysia - people are quite similar, but the Malaysian government is open minded to Western foreigners, and there are no problems at all, including international marriage.

Indonesian people like to live in Malaysia. Similar in many aspects, but living standard is much better, compared to Indonesia. Of course other places are also open, like Philippines or Thailand.

Anyway, for Indonesia, there is only one way to go for a foreign man: Take the girl out from there.....

#5 Bluecat

Posted 10 October 2005 - 03:03 PM

The money is one thing but well, US$ 50,000 is a one time 'fee'.
What about the fact that, on top of it, you have to convert to Islam.
I have to say, they make it quite difficult for a non muslim foreigner to marry an Indonesian girl.
Maybe it will benefit Indonesia on the long term.
I mean if they all marry Saoudian loaded with money.
But if not, the logic beats me...

#6 TizMe

Posted 11 October 2005 - 02:48 AM

Two of my mates, one Aussie and the other Irish, have married muslim, Indonesian flight attendants in Indonesia within the last year.

Neither converted to Islam. It was not difficult for either of them.

#7 yohan

Posted 11 October 2005 - 10:41 AM

Not all Indonesian people are Muslim, Bluecat.
Indonesia does not want foreigners there, and especially not foreigners living permanently with Indonesian women.
This money is basically a deposit for foreigners to ask them to leave with their Indonesian wives as soon as possible.
Every man might go to Indonesia, find a partner, she might come with you anytime, married or not....Indonesia does not restrict its citizens to leave the country.

Tizme, if you marry an Indonesian woman, and she is Muslim, the Non-Muslim husband (foreigner or not does not matter) has to sign a simple paper, that he is from now on a Muslim....

I think, they signed that paper among a flood of other required papers, in practical life in Indonesia nobody cares....
Your two friends do not know yet, that they are Muslim....

#8 Axel

Posted 11 October 2005 - 11:05 AM

How about Bali? I think most of them are Hindus.

#9 yohan

Posted 11 October 2005 - 05:57 PM

You have still to pay usd 50000,- if you want to live there with her.
Muslim or Hindu does not matter, living in Indonesia is the point.

#10 tingtong

Posted 02 November 2005 - 02:09 AM

Seems  very targeted at the wealthy Arabs!

#11 Erwin

Posted 02 November 2005 - 07:45 AM

Just another example of a government being a superpimp

#12 Bluecat

Posted 02 November 2005 - 12:18 PM

I never thought about it that way but actually, you're right, Erwin.
Shame on them... :welcomeani:

#13 kingwilly

Posted 25 April 2006 - 03:48 AM

does anyone know how many months a thai can get on a tourist visa in Indonesia ?

#14 Axel

Posted 25 April 2006 - 05:12 AM

Thais do not need a visa for a max. stay of 30 days as tourists.

#15 chingy_

Posted 25 April 2006 - 05:46 AM

no thanks, im going buying myself a sport car which i will love more

#16 treefingers

Posted 08 October 2006 - 09:32 PM

Does anyone know if this law ended up being passed and going into effect?  The one saying you have to pay 50000 usd?

#17 Bluecat

Posted 09 October 2006 - 01:14 PM

We can't say for sure.
None of us, regular posters married one.
Yet... :rolleyes:

#18 Bluecat

Posted 20 February 2007 - 01:00 PM

And people living there do not seem to be too keen to marry an Indonesian girl.
For other reasons... :)

http://www.orientexp...showtopic=11904

But well, one guy experience does not make statistics... :)  :)

#19 indoguy

Posted 20 February 2007 - 05:54 PM

Obviously i know some people happily married to Indonesian women.

not too many though, and that includes local dudes married to local women, many of whom are not quite ecstatic with the way things are going...

#20 Up_To_You

Posted 19 July 2007 - 07:57 PM

Indonesia has two Muslim traditions. One is the santri, or othodox tradition in which adherents live their life according to the Koran, attend the mosque every Friday etc. Many of these Muslims live in Acheh or the coastal cities of Jave. They want Indonesia to become an orthodox Muslim state.

The other tradition of Islam in Indonesia is more flexible. These are the abangan, or nominal Muslims. They believe in harmony and consensus, which is summed up in the term 'adat'. Most of them live in the interior of Java. They have provided the national slogan, pancasila, a Hindu-Buddhist concept to achieve harmony. Adat trumps Islam and the Koran. The abangan are not so keen on reading the Koran or attending the mosque. They like their Hindu wedding ceremonies. Santri parents do not want their children marrying the abangan Muslims. They do not like pancasila.

Sukarno was a good example of an abangan Muslim. He first gained his knowledge of Islam by reading a book by an American named Stoddart. The shadow play, and its heroes like Prince Bima and Prince Arjuna, were most important to Sukarno. The abangan Muslims have a syncretic belief system incorporating Buddhism, Hinduism, Islam and traditional folk beliefs. Suharto told Islamic leaders that politics has no place in the mosque, and he promoted pancasila.

#21 Bluecat

Posted 20 July 2007 - 05:14 PM

Quite extensive explanation that would deserve to be in another thread about muslims.
And well, not only in this forum...

#22 yohan

Posted 21 July 2007 - 06:02 PM

View PostUp_To_You, on 2007-07-20 04:57:42, said:

.... Suharto told Islamic leaders that politics has no place in the mosque, and he promoted pancasila.
What has this to do with USD 50000,- if you want to marry an Indonesian woman?
And what about Indonesian men? Will the foreign bride also be required to pay USD 50.000,-?

#23 Up_To_You

Posted 21 July 2007 - 07:21 PM

I got carried away because earlier some posters had mentioned Hinduism and Islam, so it seemed important to explain some of the facts regarding Islam (the santri and abangan traditions) in that country, in particular, in Java.

I wonder if Malaysians would have to pay the sin sodt payment to the government. And, if a woman divorces and re-marries foreigners, would the government reap a dividend each time?

#24 yohan

Posted 22 July 2007 - 03:32 PM

View PostUp_To_You, on 2007-07-22 04:21:53, said:

I wonder if Malaysians would have to pay the sin sodt payment to the government. And, if a woman divorces and re-marries foreigners, would the government reap a dividend each time?
Hi,
as far as I understand that regulation, it is only if the foreign man wants to stay in Indonesia - most Malaysian men however will take the Indonesian woman out of Indonesia and will marry in Malaysia and continue to live there without intention to settle down in Indonesia - therefore nothing is to pay.

I think, this strange regulation was done to discourage foreign men to settle down in Indonesia with a local wife.

#25 khadgi_bibek

Posted 13 July 2011 - 12:11 AM

hi,im a nepali and my gf is indonesian,we both want to marry eachother and i want to take her out of indonesia n c wantr to live with me in mx country,do i hav to pay that amount for marying her?im non-muslim too(hindu),or just i hav to sign sm formalities paper to take her out of indonesia...suggest me frends:)

#26 Uncle Gweilo

Posted 13 July 2011 - 10:22 PM

Indonesia not only has the world's largest Muslim population as well as lots of Hindus in Bali, there are also substantial numbers of Christians, thanks to the dutch occupancy. A lot of the Christians have Chinese heritage, but many are ethnic Indonesians. There is nothing, to my knowledge, in the Indonesian constitution or legal system that states that to be an Indo Indonesian you must be a Muslim- which is the case in Malaysia (Article 153 of the constitution, if I'm not mistaken).

To the above poster: I don't think any of us could answer that. Best off to contact your nearest Indonesian embassy. If there isn't one in Kathmandu, there should be one in Delhi.

Edited by Uncle Gweilo, 13 July 2011 - 10:24 PM.

#27 khadgi_bibek

Posted 27 July 2011 - 03:11 PM

i want to take out my gf out of indonesia?do i have to pay that much huge amount of money? :w00t: i cant pay that much.its only for those who wants to stay in indonesia afta marrying the girl....im nt staying anymore :blink:

#28 Bluecat

Posted 27 July 2011 - 03:34 PM

View Postkhadgi_bibek, on 27 July 2011 - 03:11 PM, said:

i want to take out my gf out of indonesia?do i have to pay that much huge amount of money?

A passport and a visa will do.
Where do you want to go?

#29 khadgi_bibek

Posted 30 July 2011 - 04:17 AM

indonesia... :blink:

#30 hollywood3000

Posted 16 September 2011 - 10:08 AM

For those of you who are religious Christians you should know that the act of getting married in a Muslim ceremony is in fact your denial of Christ as the Savior. "Being Muslim for a day" is what many non-religious Christians call it and they see it as a bunch of crap they have to do for one day but they don't really believe it. But sadly, you are denying Christ before others and he said if you do that he will deny you before his father.

Find a nice Indo Chinese gal who is Christian and things are a lot smoother. But I guess you don't pick who you fall in love with eh?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 Orient Expat™
Contact us/Advertise