Orient Expat Friends

Naked Chinese woman ordered by police to ear squat

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 OrientExpat

Posted 25 November 2005 - 07:09 AM

Video pictures appear to show a woman of Chinese origin being humiliated in a Malaysian police station.

http://news.bbc.co.u...fic/4468810.stm

#2 Bluecat

Posted 25 November 2005 - 02:12 PM

Quite a few complaints from the Chinese tourists lately, especially women.
Obviously, there is some reason for it...

Nude woman ordered to ear squat

25 November 2005.
The Star Online

KUALA LUMPUR: A controversial video footage showing a woman in uniform instructing a Chinese-looking naked woman to do ear squats caused an uproar after it was made public yesterday.

Police have now started investigations and have lodged a report on their own.

Ministers and MPs expressed disgust with the way the naked woman was treated after they were shown the clip by Seputeh MP Teresa Kok at Parliament House yesterday.

SHOCKING VIDEO: The controversial video clip showing a chinese woman instucted to do ear squats.

The video clearly shows the woman standing naked in a room with some lockers to her right. The woman in uniform can be heard telling the woman in Bahasa Malaysia to pull her ears, squat and stand up. The naked woman did 10 ear squats.

The 70-second video clip is said to have been taken using a cellphone and has been widely circulated through the multimedia messaging service (MMS) over the past few days.  

The person who recorded the incident did it through a grilled window.

However, the identity of the uniformed person or location where the incident took place could not be ascertained at present. It is also not known when the incident took place.

The footage has led people to link the scenes shown in it to the ordeal of four women from China at a police station recently.

The four alleged that a policewoman asked them to strip and perform ear squats in a room at a station while in police custody.

They were arrested on suspicion of having invalid travel documents in Sungai Buloh here on Nov 3.

However, the four women have denied being the naked woman shown in the video clip, saying they were on the first floor of a building without windows.

#3 Bluecat

Posted 25 November 2005 - 02:18 PM

Video shocks, disgusts MPs

25 November 2005. The Star Online

KUALA LUMPUR: Shocked and disgusted. This was the reaction of MPs who saw a video clip depicting a naked woman doing ear squats in front of another woman dressed in what looked like a police uniform.

Seputeh MP Teresa Kok, who had obtained a copy of the video, showed it to the others at Parliament House yesterday.

Minister in the Prime Minister's Department Datuk Seri Nazri Aziz, who heads parliament's Human Rights Caucus, said the video clip proved that what several Chinese women had previously alleged was true.

Attached File  n_03china.jpg   15.16K   
HERE’S THE PROOF: Kok showing Barisan Nasional Backbenchers Club chairman Datuk Shahrir Samad (left) and Azmi the video clip at the Parliament lobby in Kuala Lumpur on Thursday.

Nazri, who had spoken out in defence of the four Chinese women, said: “I will show this clip to the Prime Minister (Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi) and the Deputy Prime Minister (Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak) and say that what had been alleged had truly occurred and not made up.

“I’m sure they will ask for immediate action.”

When told that stripping suspects was part of investigating procedures, Nazri said this did not mean that they could be treated to such actions at the whims and fancies of the police.

“There are proper procedures and I’m sure they cannot be stripped anywhere,” he said.  

“Maybe only officers of a certain rank should be allowed to carry out such actions.”

He added that it was not important whether the woman in the clip was one of the four Chinese women concerned.

“The point is that such practices are occurring,” he said.  

Abdullah, who is the Internal Security Minister that oversees the police, is currently in Malta attending the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting.

Home Minister Datuk Seri Azmi Khalid and Opposition Leader Lim Kit Siang, who were among those who viewed the video, agreed that such an incident should not have occurred.

Azmi said proper investigations should be conducted to get to the bottom of the shocking incident.

Lim called for urgent actions to stop such practices and also an investigation into how the clips were taken.

Kok said she received the video clip via MMS but declined to say who the sender was. She downloaded the footage into a computer notebook and showed it to ministers, MPs and the media.

Kok, who had been helping three of the four women, said the naked woman in the clip did not look like any of them.

#4 (Member banned)

Posted 25 November 2005 - 02:51 PM

I see nothing really on this video, but quite similar what I heard also from prisons in the USA.

All people are searched there (and not only there) for security reason - yes including the genitals.
By jumping, hidden objects might fall down.

#5 Bluecat

Posted 25 November 2005 - 03:24 PM

View Postyohan, on Nov 25 2005, 09:51 PM, said:

I see nothing really on this video, but quite similar what I heard also from prisons in the USA.

All people are searched there (and not only there) for security reason - yes including the genitals.

Right, Yohan, but maybe less necessary for visa reasons, I think... :cry2:

#6 britmaveric

Posted 25 November 2005 - 07:25 PM

Doesnt look to bad from the backside.... :cry2:

#7 Bluecat

Posted 26 November 2005 - 02:01 AM

The 'incident' is on the front page of all the Malaysian newspapers today.

Attached File  Saturday.gif   14.29K   

Naked woman incident a blow to country's image

26 November 2005. The Star Online

VALLETTA (Malta): The video clip showing a naked woman doing ear squats while watched by another woman in uniform has shamed the country, said Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi.

He said the incident had dealt a blow to the country’s image and pledged a thorough investigation into the issue.

No party should attempt to conceal any facts that might be uncovered as a result of the investigations, said a visibly-upset Abdullah, who called Malaysian journalists here to give his comments before rushing off to attend the opening ceremony of the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting yesterday.

Malaysian newspapers had front-paged the incident after Seputeh MP Teresa Kok showed the video clip at Parliament House on Thursday.

The 70-second video clip, said to have been taken with a cellphone-camera, had been circulated through the multimedia messaging service (MMS) over the past few days.  

The video clip has led viewers to link it to the ordeal of four women from China who had alleged they were mistreated and humiliated while in police custody recently.

Abdullah said he had called Deputy Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Musa Hassan and instructed him to thoroughly and immediately investigate the matter.

“Stern action must be taken (against those involved). This is important because the incident has caused embarrassment to the police force,” the Prime Minister said.

In Kuala Lumpur, his deputy Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak also pledged a thorough investigation, saying the video clip was the first documented evidence of a detainee being abused.

“This is the first time we have obtained evidence from a video clip,” he said.

“We have to know what actually took place and who were responsible in this particular incident,” he said.  

“If the video clip is true, it can tarnish the image and integrity of the police and the Government.

“I look at this (incident) as a serious matter. It should not have happened in the first place.”  

To a question, Najib said strip-searching was not part of the procedures to examine those held under police custody.  

“We don’t indulge in that. There is no reason to embarrass and intimidate people in that manner,” he said, declining to say whether such practices were rampant.

#8 chuchok

Posted 26 November 2005 - 05:45 AM

View PostBluecat, on Nov 25 2005, 10:24 PM, said:

Right, Yohan, but maybe less necessary for visa reasons, I think... ;)

What's the story with the "ear" thing.....will a rabbit appear if they pull at their ears?  :cry2:

#9 Bluecat

Posted 26 November 2005 - 08:57 AM

View Postchuchok, on Nov 26 2005, 12:45 PM, said:

View PostBluecat, on Nov 25 2005, 10:24 PM, said:

Right, Yohan, but maybe less necessary for visa reasons, I think... ;)

What's the story with the "ear" thing.....will a rabbit appear if they pull at their ears?  :cry2:

I was actually wondering the same. I understand what is a squat but what is a ear squat? ;)

#10 britmaveric

Posted 26 November 2005 - 01:45 PM

perhaps an ear fetish? :cry2:

#11 OrientExpat

Posted 27 November 2005 - 06:06 AM

Malaysian politicians call for the deputy police chief to quit after he defended a colleague who humiliated a prisoner.

http://news.bbc.co.u...fic/4475122.stm

#12 Bluecat

Posted 27 November 2005 - 06:35 AM

View PostAsia Expat, on Nov 27 2005, 01:06 PM, said:

Malaysian politicians call for the deputy police chief to quit after he defended a colleague who humiliated a prisoner.

http://news.bbc.co.u...fic/4475122.stm

And the BBC gives you part of the video recording in that link.
And as they said:

Warning: Some readers will find these pictures offensive

I did not but why did they make her squat so many times, the 'hidden' passeport does not fall after the first squat?  :cry2:

#13 Bluecat

Posted 28 November 2005 - 12:00 AM

Anwar speaks out about abuse

AP , KUALA LUMPUR. Sunday, Nov 27, 2005

Malaysia's former deputy prime minister Anwar Ibrahim said yesterday an incident in which police allegedly forced a woman to strip and do squats showed that police abuse was a serious problem in the country and vowed to speak up against it.

"I was a victim myself and I know how painful it is," said Anwar, who was beaten up by the former national police chief while in custody in 1998, an incident which left him with a black eye.

"Nothing has changed," he said. "The government is not serious in taking action against abuses by the police."

Anwar was commenting on a video clip which showed a naked Chinese woman in custody doing squats while watched by a policewoman. It is not known who took the video -- which is also displayed on a Malaysian news Web site -- but it has sparked calls from outraged Malaysians for a probe into whether Chinese nationals are unfairly targeted by the Malaysian authorities.

Police have confirmed that the woman is a Chinese national and said they have identified the policewoman.

Prime Minister Abdullah Ahmad Badawi has ordered a thorough investigation and pledged that there will be no cover-up.

Anwar said the incident was not isolated and that such abuses happen to Malaysians as well.

"Police strip naked and assault people in custody. This happens to Malaysians of all races and foreigners," he said, adding that he himself had personally witnessed police abuses while being imprisoned.

"I saw thousands of [illegal immigrants] brought to prison after being arrested by police. They had virtually nothing with them. All their belongings had been taken away."

Malaysia's 80,000-strong police force has been accused of rampant corruption, abuse of power and mistreatment of detainees. The abuses were highlighted in a royal commission report earlier this year.

Anwar claimed that police had never expressed remorse for any of the abuses committed by them except in his case when the former police chief publicly apologized in an out-of-court settlement earlier this year.

He said he will speak up against police abuse while campaigning for the opposition in a by-election in the eastern Kelantan state next week.

#14 Bluecat

Posted 28 November 2005 - 11:59 PM

View Postbritmaveric, on Nov 26 2005, 02:25 AM, said:

Doesnt look to bad from the backside.... :cry2:

Here is the front side, Brit.

#15 britmaveric

Posted 29 November 2005 - 11:57 AM

View PostBluecat, on Nov 29 2005, 06:59 AM, said:

Doesnt look to bad from the backside.... ;)

;)  :cry2:

Hmmmm not bad at all, what was she arrested for???

#16 Bluecat

Posted 29 November 2005 - 02:06 PM

View Postbritmaveric, on Nov 29 2005, 06:57 PM, said:

View PostBluecat, on Nov 29 2005, 06:59 AM, said:

Doesnt look to bad from the backside.... ;)

;)  :cry2:

Hmmmm not bad at all, what was she arrested for???

I'm afraid this is the only 'detail' the newspapers do not speak about...  :P   :D

#17 OrientExpat

Posted 29 November 2005 - 02:56 PM

The press in Malaysia shares the widespread outrage in the country over the recently broadcast video showing a Chinese woman forced to strip naked and perform squats by a police officer.

http://news.bbc.co.u...fic/4481672.stm

#18 OrientExpat

Posted 30 November 2005 - 06:07 AM

A Malaysian minister says foreigners who think the country's police are brutal should leave the country.

http://news.bbc.co.u...fic/4483840.stm

#19 Axel

Posted 30 November 2005 - 08:56 AM

Love it or leave it is always the same stupid reply around the world.
What about the locals, who have no where to go?

#20 Bluecat

Posted 30 November 2005 - 11:50 AM

Dep. Minister says sorry for 'foreigners go home' remark

Sinchew-I. Publication Date : 2005-12-01

Deputy Internal Security Minister Datuk Noh Omar publicly apologised for telling foreigners who think that Malaysian police were brutal to "go back to their own country."

He said he had no intention of expelling foreigners from the country, and claimed that the media had misunderstood his statement, which was made at the Parliament lobby yesterday (Nov 29).

"If foreigners think our police are brutal, they can go back to their home countries," he had said, according to various news reports in both local and international media.

His comments came a day after Malaysian Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi apologised to China and ordered an independent probe into the scandal over a video-clip showing a naked Chinese woman forced to perform squats in front of a female police officer.

At a press conference today (Nov 30), Noh Omar denied he had made the above statement.

Members of the media may have misunderstood what he meant, he claimed. "I meant if our country is not safe or if police are brutal, why are there still so many foreigners coming to our country?"

"Malaysia is a safe country, with a developed economy. If they (foreigners) think our police are brutal and our community did not live in harmony, surely they would go back."

Noh Omar admitted that he may have mis-stated his position, or used the wrong words, leading not to a misquote but to a "mis-interpretation" of his statement.

The 70-second video drew international media attention and much criticism from Malaysians after opposition MP Teresa Kok revealed it in Parliament last week.

Democratic Action Party (DAP) leader Lim Kit Siang likened it to the brutal treatment of Iraqi detainees at Abu Ghraib.

The Chinese government has urged Malaysia to investigate and severely punish those found guilty of abusing Chinese women while in police detention.

Foreign Ministry spokesman Liu Jianchao said that his ministry and the Chinese Embassy in Malaysia "have made many representations to local authorities, asking for an immediate probe into the cases and a severe punishment."

Noh Omar's words added fuel to the fire, with many calling for him to apologise publicly.

When asked why apparently all journalists misunderstood his meaning, he said, "What was quoted in newspapers were not the exact words I used."

He said that as a deputy minister, he would not have made statements that could ruin the country's reputation.

"Currently, we are putting an effort in telling others that 'Malaysia is a safe and stable country' and the case of alleged abuse against Chinese nationals case are an isolated case."

"I meant to say, 'please come to Malaysia and see the situation here for yourself'," he added.

"If my words were wrongly interpreted and caused any unhappiness, I apologise.

"If the statement hurt someone, I apologise to everyone. I was trying to let others know that Malaysia is stable. People who live out of Malaysia would not know this."

Many of the mainstream Malaysian newspapers did not run the story, although vernacular papers and afternoon tabloids did.

The story was also splashed across local and international websites.

#21 Axel

Posted 30 November 2005 - 04:49 PM

3:56 I make a 2-liner in AE, before 5:00 PM, Thailand time Datuk Noh Omar
repudiates his own statement.

AE, very fast and look who is reading in here.

#22 Bluecat

Posted 01 December 2005 - 01:05 AM

And now that the Chinese are getting a bit angry, delaying the visit of Malaysian officials, the PM interverned also...

Pak Lah: Noh statement totally against Government's policy on visitors

Thursday December 1, 2005. The Star Online

KUALA LUMPUR: Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi has reprimanded Datuk Noh Omar for his remarks that foreigners and visitors should go home if they thought the Malaysian police were cruel.

Abdullah, who is also the Internal Security Minister, said the remarks by his deputy minister were “highly inappropriate”.

“His statement is totally against the government's policy and stand on foreign visitors and tourists, where we welcome all of them whether to holiday, study, seek medical treatment or to do business here.

“Members of the Government should be more sensitive and careful when making any statement in connection with this issue.

DAMAGE CONTROL: Noh taking questions from reporters at the Parliament lobby Wednesday.
“I have reprimanded Datuk Noh Omar on this matter,” the Prime Minister told Bernama.

Noh was reported to have made the remark at a press conference at the Parliament lobby on Tuesday when asked about the video clip featuring a woman, believed to be a Chinese national, doing ear squats in the nude while in police custody.

However, yesterday morning he called for a press conference where he denied making the statement, but at the same time offered an apology.

“I deny saying that if they (foreigners) don’t like it, they can go back. That is not right. If there is such a quote, it might have been misinterpreted.”

He apologised if the reported statement had offended anyone.

”There are many foreigners who come in as tourists and overstay.  

“If they found the police to be cruel and the country unsafe, surely they would have gone back a long time ago. That was what I meant,” he told reporters at the Parliament lobby yesterday.

Expressing regret over the matter, he said that if he wanted to make a statement, he would certainly want to give a positive image of the country.

''I would want to indicate that it was a safe place and that the police lock-up incident was an isolated case,'' he added.

Earlier, MCA Youth chief Datuk Liow Tiong Lai had called for Noh to clarify his statement, saying that he should retract the statement if he had made it.  

Liow also said that the police were not above the law and that they should abide by procedures when carrying out their duties.

He said action should be taken against those who abuse their powers and that it was very obvious that there had been abuse of power when a woman was asked to strip at the lock-up.

Opposition Leader Lim Kit Siang said the Prime Minister’s reprimand was insufficient.

He said Noh should retract his statement, apologise and be suspended or sacked.

“His explanation saying that the press had misunderstood him is unacceptable.  

“Nobody misunderstood him. It’s very clear what he meant and what he said has undermined not only the Prime Minister’s efforts (policy of not profiling and of welcoming foreigners) but was also detrimental to national interests,” he told reporters.

#23 OrientExpat

Posted 01 December 2005 - 03:50 AM

Beijing summons Malaysia's envoy to protest about the treatment of ethnic Chinese in Malaysia.

http://news.bbc.co.u...fic/4487198.stm

#24 mbk

Posted 05 December 2005 - 03:21 PM

View PostAsia Expat, on Dec 1 2005, 10:50 AM, said:

Beijing summons Malaysia's envoy to protest about the treatment of ethnic Chinese in Malaysia.

This is weird. They are Malaysian citizens, why are the Chinese concerned? That's like Ireland petitioning the US State Department because I am not getting a fair trial in the US, or The Republic of Congo upset because Rodney King got nearly beaten to death. I guess blood is thicker than water for the Chinese.

#25 Bluecat

Posted 13 December 2005 - 11:54 AM

Nude squat woman identified

Tuesday December 13, 2005. The Star Online

PETALING JAYA: The woman featured in the video clip doing ear squats in the nude testified on Tuesday before the Commission of Inquiry probing the incident.

She is a 22-year old Malay, and is currently three-months pregnant.

#26 Bluecat

Posted 13 December 2005 - 11:59 AM

View Postmbkudu, on Dec 5 2005, 10:21 PM, said:

View PostAsia Expat, on Dec 1 2005, 10:50 AM, said:

This is weird. They are Malaysian citizens, why are the Chinese concerned? That's like Ireland petitioning the US State Department because I am not getting a fair trial in the US, or The Republic of Congo upset because Rodney King got nearly beaten to death. I guess blood is thicker than water for the Chinese.

I agree, Mbkudu, this is pretty weird.
Malaysian Chinese are as Malaysian as the Malaysian Malay and not Chinese anymore.
But for the Chinese, any Chinese is from mainland China.  :dribble2:

#27 Bluecat

Posted 15 December 2005 - 11:54 AM

What's the story with the "ear" thing.....will a rabbit appear if they pull at their ears?  :lol:

Finally got the explanation, it helps you maintain balance... :dribble2:

Thursday December 15, 2005. The Star

KUALA LUMPUR: Ordering detainees to perform ear squats is acceptable police procedure applied to suspects before they are sent to the lock-up, the Commission of Inquiry heard yesterday.

Deputy Inspector-General of Police Datuk Seri Musa Hassan testified that while duduk berdiri (sit and stand) was not written in the Inspector-General’s Standing Orders, “it was an accepted practice” and police personnel have been verbally told to make detainees perform the act.

“Disciplinary action could be taken against personnel who, having known about them, did not obey these oral instructions,” he added.

Stripping suspects and making them do squats were to ensure that they did not conceal prohibited items or weapons, he said.

“Once, a detainee hid a toothbrush in his rectum,” said Musa. “He brought it into the lock-up, sharpened it and attacked the sentry. It became a weapon.

“During my time with the narcotics division, I’ve found condoms filled with drugs hidden in the rectum after asking the detainees to do the squat and stand exercise,” he added.

The alternative to the squats was to send the detainees to medical officers, he said.  

Earlier, Dr Zainab Shamsuddin affirmed that squats were effective in expelling foreign objects from the vagina and rectum because the action would cause pelvic muscles to relax.

“It’s only a matter of time before the object is expelled,” said the Kuala Lumpur Hospital consultant obstetrician and gynaecologist.

Dr Zainab said it was possible to insert foreign objects in the vagina and rectum “because they are quite large compared with the urethra.”  

“Voluntary muscles can be trained to retain a foreign object depending on one’s muscle tone,” she said. “Any cylindrical object can be inserted.”

On the need to hold the ears, she said it helped a person maintain balance while doing the squats.  

#28 Bluecat

Posted 15 December 2005 - 11:54 AM

What's the story with the "ear" thing.....will a rabbit appear if they pull at their ears?  :lol:

Finally got the explanation, it helps you maintain balance... :dribble2:

Thursday December 15, 2005. The Star

KUALA LUMPUR: Ordering detainees to perform ear squats is acceptable police procedure applied to suspects before they are sent to the lock-up, the Commission of Inquiry heard yesterday.

Deputy Inspector-General of Police Datuk Seri Musa Hassan testified that while duduk berdiri (sit and stand) was not written in the Inspector-General’s Standing Orders, “it was an accepted practice” and police personnel have been verbally told to make detainees perform the act.

“Disciplinary action could be taken against personnel who, having known about them, did not obey these oral instructions,” he added.

Stripping suspects and making them do squats were to ensure that they did not conceal prohibited items or weapons, he said.

“Once, a detainee hid a toothbrush in his rectum,” said Musa. “He brought it into the lock-up, sharpened it and attacked the sentry. It became a weapon.

“During my time with the narcotics division, I’ve found condoms filled with drugs hidden in the rectum after asking the detainees to do the squat and stand exercise,” he added.

The alternative to the squats was to send the detainees to medical officers, he said.  

Earlier, Dr Zainab Shamsuddin affirmed that squats were effective in expelling foreign objects from the vagina and rectum because the action would cause pelvic muscles to relax.

“It’s only a matter of time before the object is expelled,” said the Kuala Lumpur Hospital consultant obstetrician and gynaecologist.

Dr Zainab said it was possible to insert foreign objects in the vagina and rectum “because they are quite large compared with the urethra.”  

“Voluntary muscles can be trained to retain a foreign object depending on one’s muscle tone,” she said. “Any cylindrical object can be inserted.”

On the need to hold the ears, she said it helped a person maintain balance while doing the squats.  

#29 OrientExpat

Posted 23 January 2006 - 02:16 PM

A Malaysian inquiry asks police to stop forcing suspects to strip and squat, after a row about a video.

http://news.bbc.co.u...fic/4639750.stm

#30 OrientExpat

Posted 02 March 2006 - 10:46 AM

Malaysia's top police officer gives senior colleagues a public dressing down over their lack of awareness of human rights.

http://news.bbc.co.u...fic/4766022.stm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 Orient Expat™
Contact us/Advertise