Orient Expat Friends

Install Thai language on mobile phones

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_il_postino_*

Posted 05 September 2006 - 11:57 AM

I met a friend yesterday who showed me her mobile was capable of texting in both Thai and English. As my interest in Thailand grows i was wondering if anyone could shed some light on enabling mobiles to text in different languages.
Thanks.

#2 Bluecat

Posted 05 September 2006 - 12:32 PM

I've got a Nokia mobile phone bought in Thailand and it can do both.
Depends for which market they are manufactured, I guess.
So if you need the Thai text, you'd better buy it in Thailand.

#3 กำนัน

Posted 05 September 2006 - 12:39 PM

I have a Sony Ericsson that I purchased at the Emporium in Bangkok. I'm pretty sure it's a case of changing the software and any engineer with the right kit could do that... however, the phone would still be useless for Asian Languages because they keypad wouldn't have the right characters. The only way you could do it would be to purchase in Thailand, as I did, or find a way to order a new keypad.

#4 britmaveric

Posted 05 September 2006 - 03:00 PM

Can add the language pack in thailand, however the keys do present a problem.

#5 กำนัน

Posted 05 September 2006 - 03:19 PM

Here's the keypad on my old Thai phone. It just sits in the bottom of a drawer now, after a life of hard work connecting my laptop to the outside world from the village. Actually, this website was operated exclusively from this very cellphone for about 5 months!...

Attached File  PICT1219.JPG   71.7K   

#6 Nordlys

Posted 05 September 2006 - 04:45 PM

View Postbritmaveric, on Sep 5 2006, 10:00 PM, said:

Can add the language pack in thailand, however the keys do present a problem.

Yes, I've seen a Thai fonts installer (CD-ROM pack) at Sony Ericsson service center in Bangkok last week (Loxley in Kloeng Toey).  I can also install Chinese and Japanese fonts on my cell phone (sony ericsson M600i).

#7 Voodoo Child

Posted 06 September 2006 - 06:06 AM

Shouldn't it just require a firmware download? If you have a phone that's used in the Thai market then the Thai language firmware be available for download if you look in the right place.

#8 กำนัน

Posted 17 March 2011 - 07:44 AM

I'm resurrecting this topic because my wife and daughter have phones purchased in the UK. My phone was purchased in Thailand and has the Thai keypad and software, but I need it myself, so I want to get the Thai keypads fitted to their phones and install the right software. In the case of Halfdrunk, it would just be the software as it's a touch screen phone...

Where and how can I get this done?

#9 britmaveric

Posted 17 March 2011 - 10:14 AM

Just a language add on. Keypad might be an issue here.

#10 andrewn

Posted 17 March 2011 - 04:07 PM

It really depends what phones you bought them. I have bought several Nokias in the UK in the past and installed the Thai language pack on them (you need to first change the product code, which you can do with some downloadable software, and then get the updated firmware from Nokia's website). However I tried recently with an N97 mini and wasn't able to - Nokia may have blocked the ability on their most recent releases.
Didn't have the Thai on the keypad of course, but after a while you get used to where the letters are.

Or the easiest thing......get them an iphone 4 - all languages already in it and simple to change in the settings. Just the cost, that's all.........

#11 bkk_mike

Posted 01 April 2011 - 04:22 AM

You need to say what sort of phone you have.

i.e. Android from version 2.2 supports the display of Thai fonts as they switched to Unicode. You'd just need to download a Thai keyboard.
It's still possible for older versions of Android. It's just a bit more complicated - ie. you need to install new font files with Thai charscters (which would basically be the same as the ones installed on phones sold here), but to do that, you need to root the phone. Again you'd also want to add a Thai keyboard app to let you write as well as read Thai.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 Orient Expat™
Contact us/Advertise