Asia Hotels

Hong Kong Expat Dating

Getting a Hong Kong Driver's Licence


You can drive in Hong Kong on a foreign issued driver's licence for up to one year, after which you will need to apply for a Hong Kong driver's licence. The good news is that for many countries, a test is not required. All you need do is present your original valid licence along with your passport, the fee (900$HK at the time of writing) and you will be issued with a 10 year Hong Kong licence, providing:

  • You have resided in the country of issue for at least six months since it was issued
  • You have held the licence for at least five years
  • You present your passport, issued in the same country as the licence

Full details and an up to date list of approved countries is at the official website. At the time of writing, the approved countries are:

Australia, Austria, Bangladesh, Belgium, Bermuda, Canada, People's Republic of China, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Republic of Korea, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nigeria, Norway, Pakistan, Portugal, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, South Africa, United Kingdom (including Channel Islands and Isle of Man), United States of America.

To apply, you need to go in person to the Hong Kong Licensing Office at: 3/F, United Centre, 95 Queensway... Take with you:

  • The current fee
  • The originals, AND copies of, your home licence, passport, and HKID card (Note: Official translation required if home licence is not in English/Chinese)
  • Those over 70 years of age must complete medical form TD256
  • Proof of address, no older than 90 days

If your country is not on the approved list, you can still get a temporary licence entitling you to drive for three months while you arrange to take a local driving test.

See also: Owning a Car in Hong Kong

Need advice? Got a question? Ask our expat experts in the Hong Kong Forum

Top FAQs about Hong Kong: